If you've ever had to deal with an invasion of ants, you know the meaning of frustration. While the kids think they're so cute marching in formation, stopping to help one another and working hard to prepare for life challenges ahead, its better to study these amazing creatures than to face the day when you wake up to find a million or so feasting on that piece of bread someone left out on the counter last night.
While there are dozens of homemade remedies for dealing with ants, including poisoning them with boric acid, Borax or ammonia, the ingredients can create toxic situations for crawling babies, pets and that sandwich you're about to make on the counter. Other methods like blowing up their digestive systems with cornmeal, though more effective and safe than harsh chemicals, can create a new challenge because they're messy to clean up.
Today I want to tell you about a recipe for an ant spray you can make yourself from natural products that are toxic to ants but perfectly safe for pets and people. This recipe is safe, quick, natural and highly effective. You are going to love it.
Compared with the cost of an annual visit from an exterminator (which costs around $200 depending on where you live and the severity of the problem), the supplies to make this ant spray ($20 to $30 depending on your source) are a true bargain. Whenever it's appropriate and effective, I always prefer to do things myself rather than calling in the pros.
Here's what you will need to get started:
1. Dark glass spray bottle fitted with a filtered sprayer. The ingredients in this ant spray are sensitive to light, which degrades its effectiveness in a big hurry. Keeping your ant spray in a dark glass container in a dark cupboard will extend its effectiveness for up to a few months, or even longer. Still, you want to make this spray in small batches of no more than about 2 cups (16 ounces) at a time. Because this ant spray will have a bit of sediment in it, a regular household sprayer will become clogged up quickly. You will want to use a sprayer that is fitted with a small filter to prevent it from becoming clogged.
2. Ground cayenne pepper. This is in the spice aisle of any grocery store. It's the exact same ingredient you use in the kitchen to make foods and drinks delightfuly spicy.
3. 100 percent natural therapeutic-grade undiluted tea tree essential oil.
4. 100 percent natural therapeutic-grade undiluted peppermint essential oil.
Note: Essential oils come in all different strengths. Some are highly diluted or laced with perfume and or other additives. For this ant spray, you want pure high-quality essential oils with no pesticides, herbicides, GMOs or other additives.
Fill a 16-oz. amber spray bottle up to about 1 inch from the top with tap water. Add 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, 20 drops pure tea tree essential oil and 20 drops pure peppermint essential oil. Apply the sprayer top, and shake well to mix. Label the bottle and store it in a dark place.
To use this ant spray inside the home:
This spray will kill ants on contact. That's how much they cannot tolerate these ingredients! If it does not kill on contact, that's your sign that your spray has lost its effectiveness and its old. Make a new batch! Do not hesitate to use this ant spray any place in your home. The beauty of this spray is that it can be used on any surface without fear of harm to appliances, fixtures, granite, quartz, painted surfaces, wood and laminate floors, and appliances.
This ant spray is a powerful deterrent when sprayed along ant trails and inside cracks through which ants are entering your home.
To use this ant spray outside the home:
You can spray this along outside walls and other places you see ants congregating in their little planning sessions.
Your most effective use of this recipe can be in the anthill or nest if you can locate it. Here is how to make and deliver the mother of all ant bombs.
Start with a tea kettle of boiling water. Add 2 or 3 teaspoons of ground cayenne pepper, 20 drops of your pure tea tree essential oil and 20 drop of the peppermint essential oil.
Using a stake, a pipe or other such device, drive it deep into the nest -- at least 18 inches into the ground -- to create a hole. Remove the stake carefully so the hole doesn't refill with dirt.
Carefully pour the contents of the tea kettle into the hole. It will be very hot, so be careful. The heat from boiling water alone will kill ants on contact. But the pepper and oils in this cocktail will leach into the areas surrounding that deep hole, making it totally unsuitable for an ant colony for the rest of this season for sure, and possibly for another season.
Originally posted here:
Everyday cheapskate: Make your own safe and effective ant spray ... - Herald & Review
- God Cleans Cosmos After Discovering Universe Infested With Ants - The Onion - May 8th, 2020
- How to Get Rid of Ants in Your House - What Kills Ants for Good? - Prevention.com - April 30th, 2020
- Termite Inspection - Motley Fool - April 29th, 2020
- Ants Exterminator | Ant Killer | Carpenter Ants | Ant | Pest - April 20th, 2020
- Not the Magna Mater They Had in Mind: Stephen King's Graveyard Shift - tor.com - March 6th, 2020
- 5 Worst House Pests and How To Eliminate Them - theseeker.ca - February 29th, 2020
- Natural Ant Killers and Ant Control Tips to Get Rid of ... - January 20th, 2020
- King of the Hill: 10 Best Dale Episodes | CBR - CBR - January 15th, 2020
- Bugs In the House: A Guide - Nature World News - December 30th, 2019
- Synergy is Proud to Announce They Are Jackson Mississippi's Top-Rated Local Pest Control Companies Award Winner - Press Release - Digital Journal - November 28th, 2019
- How to handle the ants in your house - The Gazette Western University's Newspaper - November 26th, 2019
- Bug Infestation Drove Lansing Woman Up The Wall, But Landlords Efforts To Fix It Fell Short - CBS Chicago - November 19th, 2019
- Ants in the Home: When to call an Exterminator | The Bug Man - November 9th, 2019
- How to Get Rid of Pharaoh Ants - Do-It-Yourself Pest Control - October 20th, 2019
- Seattle, WA Pest Control | Western Exterminator - October 14th, 2019
- South Florida Pest Control & Termite Exterminators | Hulett - October 14th, 2019
- 6 Natural Ways To Get Rid Of Ants - Western Exterminator ... - October 4th, 2019
- Ant Exterminator - insightpestnorthwest.com - September 12th, 2019
- Carpenter Ants: How to Get Rid of Black Carpenter Ants - September 8th, 2019
- 10 Fascinating Facts About Ants - ThoughtCo - June 2nd, 2019
- Do I Need an Exterminator To Get Rid of Ants? | COMBAT - April 26th, 2019
- Ants | Pest Control Omaha - Exterminator | Omaha Pest ... - April 4th, 2019
- Black Ants: Bite, Types, Size | Western Exterminator - February 15th, 2019
- AAA Exterminating Co - Exterminator Termite Control - February 10th, 2019
- Pest Control for Greensboro Charlotte Raleigh and Central NC - January 25th, 2019
- Ant Control - Dealing with Ants | Western Exterminator - January 10th, 2019
- Ants and Ant Control - Eastside Exterminators - November 21st, 2018
- Carpenter Ants Exterminator in CT | EliminateEm - October 11th, 2018
- How to Get Rid of Flying Ants | Ehrlich Pest Control - September 17th, 2018
- Carpenter ants in Chicago best ant pest control exterminator - July 23rd, 2018
- Ant Control: Pest Control for Ants by Arrow Exterminators - July 12th, 2018
- Cost to Hire an Ant Exterminator - Estimates and Prices at ... - May 24th, 2018
- Exterminator in Connecticut - Bee Smart Pest Control - May 13th, 2018
- Carpenter Ant Control - Get Rid of Carpenter Ants - Orkin.com - May 11th, 2018
- Ant Exterminator in Buffalo, NY - Buffalo Exterminating - May 11th, 2018
- Ant Control & Ant Killer Products | DIY Ant Pest Control - April 5th, 2018
- Borax to Kill Ants | Ant Exterminator Blog - February 22nd, 2018
- Ant Control & Ant Killer Products | Do My Own - November 20th, 2017
- Pest Control Secaucus, NJ, | Exterminator Cost Secaucus ... - November 14th, 2017
- Exterminator Reveals Cheap Secret: Never see ants in your ... - September 26th, 2017
- Pest Control Products and Services Market Projected to Reflect 5.4% CAGR by 2026 - Digital Journal - September 7th, 2017
- It's Northwest spider season; what you can do around your home - KIRO Seattle - September 5th, 2017
- High Heat Sparks Ant Invasion CBS Los Angeles - CBS Los Angeles - September 1st, 2017
- Condo Smarts: Signs of pests call for quick action - The Province - September 1st, 2017
- Texas Floods Bring Floating Fire Ant Colonies - PCT Magazine - September 1st, 2017
- Friday, August 25, 2017 - LWW Journals (blog) - August 25th, 2017
- Column: Round the Town with Karen Wyant - Jackson County Times-Journal (blog) - August 14th, 2017
- Cynthia Drummond: Signs of transition from summer to fall - The Westerly Sun - August 14th, 2017
- Gardening column: Follow these tips to ensure healthy raspberry and blackberry bushes - News Sentinel - August 12th, 2017
- Invasion of the Sugar Ants - Longmont Observer - August 9th, 2017
- Bar Rescue Episode Transforms Bug-Infested Liquid Lounge Into The Tidal Bay Beach Bar - Long Beach Post - August 9th, 2017
- Limb Days and election application deadlines approaching - Hays Free Press - July 31st, 2017
- Fire Ant Fears Boost Japan Pesticide Maker to 30-Year High ... - Bloomberg - July 5th, 2017
- Experience has Produced a Leader In Omaha Miller Pest & Termite - Digital Journal (press release) - July 5th, 2017
- Marvel Takes Home 4 2017 Saturn Awards - Marvel (press release) (registration) (blog) - July 1st, 2017
- 'Marvel's Inhumans' Debuts First Official Trailer - News | Marvel.com - Marvel (press release) (registration) (blog) - June 29th, 2017
- 'Marvel's Inhumans' Unveils First Poster - Marvel (press release) (registration) (blog) - June 26th, 2017
- The Defenders Strike a Pose in New Poster - Marvel (press release) (registration) (blog) - June 25th, 2017
- The season for unwanted pests - 1011now - June 24th, 2017
- 'Marvel's Rocket & Groot' Eligible for Outstanding Short ... - Marvel.com - Marvel (press release) (registration) (blog) - June 22nd, 2017
- Vote 'Marvel's Agents of SHIELD' At The Teen Choice Awards 2017 - Marvel (press release) (registration) (blog) - June 21st, 2017
- Make your own safe ant spray - Coos Bay World - June 17th, 2017
- The Avengers Must Reunite to Defeat the Kabal in - News | Marvel ... - Marvel (press release) (registration) (blog) - June 17th, 2017
- The Top Five Exterminators in Movies - TVOvermind - June 15th, 2017
- The Kitchn: Can lemon peels really keep ants away? - Orlando Sentinel - June 13th, 2017
- 10 things to keep in mind about fire ants - Island Packet - June 12th, 2017
- Large spider climbs into ND woman's home, turns out it's common for our area - Valley News Live - June 10th, 2017
- Bullet Ant - Ask The Exterminator - June 8th, 2017
- Ant-Man Shrinks Into Action With 3 New Animated Shorts - Marvel (press release) (registration) (blog) - June 8th, 2017
- Carpenter ants, bats besiege houses - Rochester Democrat and Chronicle - June 3rd, 2017
- How to safely enjoy summer outdoors - Foster's Daily Democrat - May 28th, 2017
- 5 Warning Signs That Your Home Has Been Invaded by Pests - RealtyBizNews - May 23rd, 2017
- Sugar Ants on Picnic Menu for Memorial Day a pest control warning - MENAFN.COM - May 21st, 2017
- Sun's out, bugs out: Pests we can expect as summer creeps closer - WKBN.com - May 19th, 2017
- Exterminators see boom in business thanks to weather - KAKE - May 19th, 2017
- Standing water could lead to bacteria and surge of mosquitoes - 13WHAM-TV - May 18th, 2017
- Pest Control Services Market is Expected to Cross US$ 22 Billion Globally by 2026 - Finance Wire - May 17th, 2017
- Bigger Is Better: 15 LARGEST Marvel Comics Characters - CBR (blog) - May 16th, 2017
- Mother's Day: A Tribute to My Mom as She Dodged Four Hurricanes - Dan's Papers - May 15th, 2017
- Review: The Hugo Boss Prize 2016: Anicka Yi, Life Is Cheap - Time Out New York (blog) - May 6th, 2017