How much does it cost to hire an ant exterminator?
For many people, there is no worse sign of a dirty or unkept home than the infiltration of pests such as ants. Unfortunately, ants are a common pest that can be found in numerous homes and buildings - even those that are clean and sanitary. Ants are attracted by things such as warmth, food particles, and in the case of carpenter ants even your homes structure. Any ant can bite, and while they dont carry diseases, they can contaminate food and, according to the CDC, some species of fire ant can be a serious problem for young children, the elderly, and those with health issues as their stings can be painful or cause negative reactions. Ants can also impact your garden, decrease the amount of wildlife nearby, and in the case of carpenter ants may even do serious damage to your home.
They are typically found near sources of food. For the majority of the ants youll find indoors, this means on counters, on the floor beneath tables and chairs, inside cabinets, and anywhere food crumbs may typically be dropped. Carpenter ants may also be found inside your window casings, baseboards, attic, and any other areas where there is both abundant wood and easy access from the outdoors.
If you find ants indoors, youll also likely find them outside as well. For the majority of ants, this typically isnt a problem, but if you have fire ants or carpenter ants you may want to deal with the nests or mounds as well to prevent them from getting indoors.
On average, the cost of a general anttreatment excluding fire and carpenter ants in a3,000 sq.ft. house is $250.
There are numerous species of ants in the world, but most people living in the US will see a few of the more common ones on a regular basis. No ant is good to have indoors, but a few are more harmless than others; identifying which ant you have will help you get the most effective treatment to be rid of them:
When an ant enters your home for the first time, its looking for food. If it finds some, it leaves a trail from the food source back to its colony for other ants to follow. This is in part what makes it so difficult to get rid of the ants; this trail is invisible to the human eye. Ants can enter through very small cracks and crevices as well, so its important not just to kill the ants currently in your home, but to eradicate their trail and seal up any cracks or crevices with caulk1 to ensure they cannot re enter.
The type of extermination method that you or your exterminator will use is largely based on the type of ant and where the infestation is located. A thorough cleaning, keeping food sealed up and shut away, and sealing up any cracks in your home are all necessary to avoid the ants returning after they have been killed:
A typical visit from an exterminator will last one to two hours, and will cost from $150 to $1000 for the treatment, depending on the type of ant. You may require more than one treatment, and your exterminator may recommend the services of a handyman at a rate of $60 to $90 an hour to seal up any cracks in or around your home where ants are getting in.
In many cases, simply eradicating the existing ants is not enough to stop them from coming back; you also need to do some kind of preventative control. If this is a serious problem, having a monthly service may help. Otherwise, you can take the following steps to prevent the ants from returning:
Many exterminators today recommend or use green or non-toxic pesticides to control the ants. These are particularly important if you have children or pets in your home. Typically there is no additional cost, as most exterminators have already made the switch.
If you have carpenter or fire ants, it may be recommended that you work to eradicate the pests from your yard at a cost of $2 per nest. This will ensure the queen is killed and better reduces your chances of reinfestation.
If you have pests frequently returning to your home, it may be beneficial to have scheduled, monthly treatments. These usually run around $30 a month after an initial visit of about $80.
Unless you are dealing with fire ants or carpenter ants you may want to try getting the infestation under control yourself. There are many DIY methods available, many of which cost significantly less than professional treatment. These include:
Keep in mind that these methods may not prevent reinfestation if not used continuously, particularly during the early summer months.
Few exterminators offer guarantees for getting rid of ants. If you have a severe infestation, your best bet may be the two-step method followed by monthly maintenance to help ensure the ants do not return.
If you find evidence that insects have been eating the wood in your home, you may not be able to tell at first glance if they are ants or termites. Both will wreck havoc on your home, but in very different ways. Termites actually ingest the wood, while the ants tunnel through it. To tell the difference, take a look at the damaged area. A termite is a messy pest, leaving behind a lot of soil and debris in its wake; an ant is clean and will leave behind neat tunnels and passages through your wood. Both should be treated immediately to prevent future damage.
The most common method of getting rid of ants is to remove their food source, then use poisoned bait to kill both the ants in your home and in the nest.
The most common way to get rid of sugar ants or little black ants is to remove their food source by thoroughly cleaning your home, then using poisoned bait to kill the remaining ants and nest.
Ants are drawn to the kitchen in search of food. Removing the food source by putting away food and cleaning up crumbs will help rid your kitchen of ants. Poisoned bait can help kill any remaining ants.
There are many methods of controlling ants including removing their food source, using poisoned bait, chemical sprays, and monthly treatments by an exterminator.
The average cost of hiring an exterminator for pests like ants is around $250.
The cost of professional ant extermination is around $250, but can go as high as $1,400 including ongoing treatment.
Terminix does has a service to rid homes of ants, including monthly contracts with repeat visits.
Carpenter ants are winged ants of varying sizes which eat the wood in your homes framing and foundation.
Read the original post:
Cost to Hire an Ant Exterminator - Estimates and Prices at ...
- Ants in the Home: When to call an Exterminator | The Bug Man - November 9th, 2019
- How to Get Rid of Pharaoh Ants - Do-It-Yourself Pest Control - October 20th, 2019
- Seattle, WA Pest Control | Western Exterminator - October 14th, 2019
- South Florida Pest Control & Termite Exterminators | Hulett - October 14th, 2019
- 6 Natural Ways To Get Rid Of Ants - Western Exterminator ... - October 4th, 2019
- Ant Exterminator - insightpestnorthwest.com - September 12th, 2019
- Carpenter Ants: How to Get Rid of Black Carpenter Ants - September 8th, 2019
- 10 Fascinating Facts About Ants - ThoughtCo - June 2nd, 2019
- Do I Need an Exterminator To Get Rid of Ants? | COMBAT - April 26th, 2019
- Ants | Pest Control Omaha - Exterminator | Omaha Pest ... - April 4th, 2019
- Black Ants: Bite, Types, Size | Western Exterminator - February 15th, 2019
- AAA Exterminating Co - Exterminator Termite Control - February 10th, 2019
- Pest Control for Greensboro Charlotte Raleigh and Central NC - January 25th, 2019
- Ant Control - Dealing with Ants | Western Exterminator - January 10th, 2019
- Ants and Ant Control - Eastside Exterminators - November 21st, 2018
- Carpenter Ants Exterminator in CT | EliminateEm - October 11th, 2018
- How to Get Rid of Flying Ants | Ehrlich Pest Control - September 17th, 2018
- Carpenter ants in Chicago best ant pest control exterminator - July 23rd, 2018
- Ant Control: Pest Control for Ants by Arrow Exterminators - July 12th, 2018
- Exterminator in Connecticut - Bee Smart Pest Control - May 13th, 2018
- Carpenter Ant Control - Get Rid of Carpenter Ants - Orkin.com - May 11th, 2018
- Ant Exterminator in Buffalo, NY - Buffalo Exterminating - May 11th, 2018
- Ant Control & Ant Killer Products | DIY Ant Pest Control - April 5th, 2018
- Borax to Kill Ants | Ant Exterminator Blog - February 22nd, 2018
- Ant Control & Ant Killer Products | Do My Own - November 20th, 2017
- Pest Control Secaucus, NJ, | Exterminator Cost Secaucus ... - November 14th, 2017
- Exterminator Reveals Cheap Secret: Never see ants in your ... - September 26th, 2017
- Pest Control Products and Services Market Projected to Reflect 5.4% CAGR by 2026 - Digital Journal - September 7th, 2017
- It's Northwest spider season; what you can do around your home - KIRO Seattle - September 5th, 2017
- High Heat Sparks Ant Invasion CBS Los Angeles - CBS Los Angeles - September 1st, 2017
- Condo Smarts: Signs of pests call for quick action - The Province - September 1st, 2017
- Texas Floods Bring Floating Fire Ant Colonies - PCT Magazine - September 1st, 2017
- Friday, August 25, 2017 - LWW Journals (blog) - August 25th, 2017
- Column: Round the Town with Karen Wyant - Jackson County Times-Journal (blog) - August 14th, 2017
- Cynthia Drummond: Signs of transition from summer to fall - The Westerly Sun - August 14th, 2017
- Gardening column: Follow these tips to ensure healthy raspberry and blackberry bushes - News Sentinel - August 12th, 2017
- Invasion of the Sugar Ants - Longmont Observer - August 9th, 2017
- Bar Rescue Episode Transforms Bug-Infested Liquid Lounge Into The Tidal Bay Beach Bar - Long Beach Post - August 9th, 2017
- Limb Days and election application deadlines approaching - Hays Free Press - July 31st, 2017
- Fire Ant Fears Boost Japan Pesticide Maker to 30-Year High ... - Bloomberg - July 5th, 2017
- Experience has Produced a Leader In Omaha Miller Pest & Termite - Digital Journal (press release) - July 5th, 2017
- Marvel Takes Home 4 2017 Saturn Awards - Marvel (press release) (registration) (blog) - July 1st, 2017
- 'Marvel's Inhumans' Debuts First Official Trailer - News | Marvel.com - Marvel (press release) (registration) (blog) - June 29th, 2017
- 'Marvel's Inhumans' Unveils First Poster - Marvel (press release) (registration) (blog) - June 26th, 2017
- The Defenders Strike a Pose in New Poster - Marvel (press release) (registration) (blog) - June 25th, 2017
- The season for unwanted pests - 1011now - June 24th, 2017
- 'Marvel's Rocket & Groot' Eligible for Outstanding Short ... - Marvel.com - Marvel (press release) (registration) (blog) - June 22nd, 2017
- Vote 'Marvel's Agents of SHIELD' At The Teen Choice Awards 2017 - Marvel (press release) (registration) (blog) - June 21st, 2017
- Everyday cheapskate: Make your own safe and effective ant spray ... - Herald & Review - June 19th, 2017
- Make your own safe ant spray - Coos Bay World - June 17th, 2017
- The Avengers Must Reunite to Defeat the Kabal in - News | Marvel ... - Marvel (press release) (registration) (blog) - June 17th, 2017
- The Top Five Exterminators in Movies - TVOvermind - June 15th, 2017
- The Kitchn: Can lemon peels really keep ants away? - Orlando Sentinel - June 13th, 2017
- 10 things to keep in mind about fire ants - Island Packet - June 12th, 2017
- Large spider climbs into ND woman's home, turns out it's common for our area - Valley News Live - June 10th, 2017
- Bullet Ant - Ask The Exterminator - June 8th, 2017
- Ant-Man Shrinks Into Action With 3 New Animated Shorts - Marvel (press release) (registration) (blog) - June 8th, 2017
- Carpenter ants, bats besiege houses - Rochester Democrat and Chronicle - June 3rd, 2017
- How to safely enjoy summer outdoors - Foster's Daily Democrat - May 28th, 2017
- 5 Warning Signs That Your Home Has Been Invaded by Pests - RealtyBizNews - May 23rd, 2017
- Sugar Ants on Picnic Menu for Memorial Day a pest control warning - MENAFN.COM - May 21st, 2017
- Sun's out, bugs out: Pests we can expect as summer creeps closer - WKBN.com - May 19th, 2017
- Exterminators see boom in business thanks to weather - KAKE - May 19th, 2017
- Standing water could lead to bacteria and surge of mosquitoes - 13WHAM-TV - May 18th, 2017
- Pest Control Services Market is Expected to Cross US$ 22 Billion Globally by 2026 - Finance Wire - May 17th, 2017
- Bigger Is Better: 15 LARGEST Marvel Comics Characters - CBR (blog) - May 16th, 2017
- Mother's Day: A Tribute to My Mom as She Dodged Four Hurricanes - Dan's Papers - May 15th, 2017
- Review: The Hugo Boss Prize 2016: Anicka Yi, Life Is Cheap - Time Out New York (blog) - May 6th, 2017
- Anicka Yi's Art Is an Enigma Wrapped in an Ant Farm - artnet News - May 3rd, 2017
- The Bugs Of The World Could Squish Us All - FiveThirtyEight - May 3rd, 2017
- Trump Thought Being President Would Be 'Easier' Than His Old Life - Scary Mommy - April 29th, 2017
- Spring fever - Newton Daily News - April 28th, 2017
- Greater Seattle Area has Marching Armies of Little Black and big ... - MENAFN.COM - April 27th, 2017
- Pest control services market is expected to exceed US$ 22 Billion by 2026: Market Research Engine - Finance Wire - April 18th, 2017
- Warm winter will bring crazy summer - crazy ants, that is - Beaumont Enterprise - April 10th, 2017
- Seattle Has Big Black Ants Attacking Homes commercial buildings like bull doozers - MENAFN.COM - April 8th, 2017
- How to say goodbye to wet-weather bug infestations in the home ... - Stuff.co.nz - April 7th, 2017
- What to do about flying ants in your home - thespruce.com - April 3rd, 2017
- April Maintenance Tips for Your Palestine, TX House - Palestine Herald Press - April 3rd, 2017
- Oakland CA Pest Control Cockroaches Rodent Exterminator Site Launched - MilTech - March 31st, 2017