raised handFor Barbara Gunn Condo Smarts [PNG Merlin Archive]Not Released (NR)Getty Images, PNGGetty Images / PNG
Dear Tony: Who is responsible for pest removal from a strata property?
We have an apartment building and 12 townhouses in our strata. The townhouse owners have been complaining about chronic wasp nests and the apartment owners have complained about the sound of mice in the walls and attics.
We had the same issues last year and everyone took care of their own problems, but this year several owners have refused to pay for the exterminators or pest control, so the problems are much worse.
We would appreciate some guidelines for how to address these issues.
Cedar Gardens Strata Council
Dear council members:
In most infestations of rodents and insects, access begins outdoors and through the common property. It could be through vents, foundations, walls, balconies, windows and doors left open in the warm season, or failures in the building envelope system.
The point of access is common property unless you are a bare-land strata where owners are responsible for their own buildings that are not shown on the strata plan.
Understanding access is the first step to understanding responsibility. While strata councils often refuse to pay for the costs of pest control, in most instances it is a common expense. The sooner the strata corporation takes responsibility and coordinates the removal and control of pests, the greater chance of protecting property and preventing future issues.
Raccoons that attempt access to roofing areas are generally looking for a place to nest, but the quick and safe relocation of our masked friends is possible while minimizing damage to our buildings. Pests that invade our living spaces will cause serious building damage to electrical and mechanical infrastructure, as well as nesting in wall cavities and contaminating insulation.
It is unlikely the infestation in your walls and ceilings are mice and most likely rats, as we have seen a significant increase of rat infestations this year.
Wasp nests, bees that hive in walls and attics, bird infestations, cockroaches, bed bugs, carpenter ants, terminates, mice, rats, raccoons, possums and bears are all part of environment. Residents and strata councils need to be vigilant and report any infestations or incidents and address them as soon as possible.
We also need to ensure our environmental surroundings are not encouraging infestations. Bird feeders, feeding of wild animals, hoarding in crawl spaces, garages and carports, barbecues left with food debris, unattended wood piles, unsecure composters and rotting wet wood all attract pests and animals. Owners and tenants need to be aware that if they do not maintain and repair their strata lots or contribute to the problem by bringing in pests, the strata corporation may be seeking those damages and costs against your strata lot.
If there is any sign of a pest or animal problem contact your strata council immediately. It can arrange for a qualified pest control service to manage the problem quickly and prevent property damage or health risk to your residents.
Tony Gioventu is executive director of theCondominium Home Owners Association. Emailtony@choa.bc.ca
See the article here:
Condo Smarts: Signs of pests call for quick action - The Province
- King of the Hill: 10 Best Dale Episodes | CBR - CBR - January 15th, 2020
- Bugs In the House: A Guide - Nature World News - December 30th, 2019
- Synergy is Proud to Announce They Are Jackson Mississippi's Top-Rated Local Pest Control Companies Award Winner - Press Release - Digital Journal - November 28th, 2019
- How to handle the ants in your house - The Gazette Western University's Newspaper - November 26th, 2019
- Bug Infestation Drove Lansing Woman Up The Wall, But Landlords Efforts To Fix It Fell Short - CBS Chicago - November 19th, 2019
- Ants in the Home: When to call an Exterminator | The Bug Man - November 9th, 2019
- How to Get Rid of Pharaoh Ants - Do-It-Yourself Pest Control - October 20th, 2019
- Seattle, WA Pest Control | Western Exterminator - October 14th, 2019
- South Florida Pest Control & Termite Exterminators | Hulett - October 14th, 2019
- 6 Natural Ways To Get Rid Of Ants - Western Exterminator ... - October 4th, 2019
- Ant Exterminator - insightpestnorthwest.com - September 12th, 2019
- Carpenter Ants: How to Get Rid of Black Carpenter Ants - September 8th, 2019
- 10 Fascinating Facts About Ants - ThoughtCo - June 2nd, 2019
- Do I Need an Exterminator To Get Rid of Ants? | COMBAT - April 26th, 2019
- Ants | Pest Control Omaha - Exterminator | Omaha Pest ... - April 4th, 2019
- Black Ants: Bite, Types, Size | Western Exterminator - February 15th, 2019
- AAA Exterminating Co - Exterminator Termite Control - February 10th, 2019
- Pest Control for Greensboro Charlotte Raleigh and Central NC - January 25th, 2019
- Ant Control - Dealing with Ants | Western Exterminator - January 10th, 2019
- Ants and Ant Control - Eastside Exterminators - November 21st, 2018
- Carpenter Ants Exterminator in CT | EliminateEm - October 11th, 2018
- How to Get Rid of Flying Ants | Ehrlich Pest Control - September 17th, 2018
- Carpenter ants in Chicago best ant pest control exterminator - July 23rd, 2018
- Ant Control: Pest Control for Ants by Arrow Exterminators - July 12th, 2018
- Cost to Hire an Ant Exterminator - Estimates and Prices at ... - May 24th, 2018
- Exterminator in Connecticut - Bee Smart Pest Control - May 13th, 2018
- Carpenter Ant Control - Get Rid of Carpenter Ants - Orkin.com - May 11th, 2018
- Ant Exterminator in Buffalo, NY - Buffalo Exterminating - May 11th, 2018
- Ant Control & Ant Killer Products | DIY Ant Pest Control - April 5th, 2018
- Borax to Kill Ants | Ant Exterminator Blog - February 22nd, 2018
- Ant Control & Ant Killer Products | Do My Own - November 20th, 2017
- Pest Control Secaucus, NJ, | Exterminator Cost Secaucus ... - November 14th, 2017
- Exterminator Reveals Cheap Secret: Never see ants in your ... - September 26th, 2017
- Pest Control Products and Services Market Projected to Reflect 5.4% CAGR by 2026 - Digital Journal - September 7th, 2017
- It's Northwest spider season; what you can do around your home - KIRO Seattle - September 5th, 2017
- High Heat Sparks Ant Invasion CBS Los Angeles - CBS Los Angeles - September 1st, 2017
- Texas Floods Bring Floating Fire Ant Colonies - PCT Magazine - September 1st, 2017
- Friday, August 25, 2017 - LWW Journals (blog) - August 25th, 2017
- Column: Round the Town with Karen Wyant - Jackson County Times-Journal (blog) - August 14th, 2017
- Cynthia Drummond: Signs of transition from summer to fall - The Westerly Sun - August 14th, 2017
- Gardening column: Follow these tips to ensure healthy raspberry and blackberry bushes - News Sentinel - August 12th, 2017
- Invasion of the Sugar Ants - Longmont Observer - August 9th, 2017
- Bar Rescue Episode Transforms Bug-Infested Liquid Lounge Into The Tidal Bay Beach Bar - Long Beach Post - August 9th, 2017
- Limb Days and election application deadlines approaching - Hays Free Press - July 31st, 2017
- Fire Ant Fears Boost Japan Pesticide Maker to 30-Year High ... - Bloomberg - July 5th, 2017
- Experience has Produced a Leader In Omaha Miller Pest & Termite - Digital Journal (press release) - July 5th, 2017
- Marvel Takes Home 4 2017 Saturn Awards - Marvel (press release) (registration) (blog) - July 1st, 2017
- 'Marvel's Inhumans' Debuts First Official Trailer - News | Marvel.com - Marvel (press release) (registration) (blog) - June 29th, 2017
- 'Marvel's Inhumans' Unveils First Poster - Marvel (press release) (registration) (blog) - June 26th, 2017
- The Defenders Strike a Pose in New Poster - Marvel (press release) (registration) (blog) - June 25th, 2017
- The season for unwanted pests - 1011now - June 24th, 2017
- 'Marvel's Rocket & Groot' Eligible for Outstanding Short ... - Marvel.com - Marvel (press release) (registration) (blog) - June 22nd, 2017
- Vote 'Marvel's Agents of SHIELD' At The Teen Choice Awards 2017 - Marvel (press release) (registration) (blog) - June 21st, 2017
- Everyday cheapskate: Make your own safe and effective ant spray ... - Herald & Review - June 19th, 2017
- Make your own safe ant spray - Coos Bay World - June 17th, 2017
- The Avengers Must Reunite to Defeat the Kabal in - News | Marvel ... - Marvel (press release) (registration) (blog) - June 17th, 2017
- The Top Five Exterminators in Movies - TVOvermind - June 15th, 2017
- The Kitchn: Can lemon peels really keep ants away? - Orlando Sentinel - June 13th, 2017
- 10 things to keep in mind about fire ants - Island Packet - June 12th, 2017
- Large spider climbs into ND woman's home, turns out it's common for our area - Valley News Live - June 10th, 2017
- Bullet Ant - Ask The Exterminator - June 8th, 2017
- Ant-Man Shrinks Into Action With 3 New Animated Shorts - Marvel (press release) (registration) (blog) - June 8th, 2017
- Carpenter ants, bats besiege houses - Rochester Democrat and Chronicle - June 3rd, 2017
- How to safely enjoy summer outdoors - Foster's Daily Democrat - May 28th, 2017
- 5 Warning Signs That Your Home Has Been Invaded by Pests - RealtyBizNews - May 23rd, 2017
- Sugar Ants on Picnic Menu for Memorial Day a pest control warning - MENAFN.COM - May 21st, 2017
- Sun's out, bugs out: Pests we can expect as summer creeps closer - WKBN.com - May 19th, 2017
- Exterminators see boom in business thanks to weather - KAKE - May 19th, 2017
- Standing water could lead to bacteria and surge of mosquitoes - 13WHAM-TV - May 18th, 2017
- Pest Control Services Market is Expected to Cross US$ 22 Billion Globally by 2026 - Finance Wire - May 17th, 2017
- Bigger Is Better: 15 LARGEST Marvel Comics Characters - CBR (blog) - May 16th, 2017
- Mother's Day: A Tribute to My Mom as She Dodged Four Hurricanes - Dan's Papers - May 15th, 2017
- Review: The Hugo Boss Prize 2016: Anicka Yi, Life Is Cheap - Time Out New York (blog) - May 6th, 2017
- Anicka Yi's Art Is an Enigma Wrapped in an Ant Farm - artnet News - May 3rd, 2017
- The Bugs Of The World Could Squish Us All - FiveThirtyEight - May 3rd, 2017
- Trump Thought Being President Would Be 'Easier' Than His Old Life - Scary Mommy - April 29th, 2017
- Spring fever - Newton Daily News - April 28th, 2017
- Greater Seattle Area has Marching Armies of Little Black and big ... - MENAFN.COM - April 27th, 2017
- Pest control services market is expected to exceed US$ 22 Billion by 2026: Market Research Engine - Finance Wire - April 18th, 2017
- Warm winter will bring crazy summer - crazy ants, that is - Beaumont Enterprise - April 10th, 2017