Should you worry about roof damage from squirrels?
Squirrels can be cute and entertaining creatures, and watching them scamper around the roof and trees can be fun for the entire family. Unfortunately, it isnt all fun and games when it comes to squirrels and rooftops.
In fact, if you have these critters running around on your roof, it may indeed be cause for concern.
When you look at squirrels up close, you can see they have sharp teeth and claws.
These sharp teeth are necessary to break open nuts and acorns, and their claws help with climbing and defending themselves. But thats not all squirrels use their teeth and claws for squirrels are known for gnawing and scratching at rooftops too.
These little rodents can chew their way through your roof shingles and move on to destroy the decking and underlayment. They can easily work their way into your attic as well, eating away the insulation and chewing through any wires they encounter.
Once they infest your attic, squirrels like to settle in and build nests. After a while, the urine and feces buildup results in a pervasive odor and creates a potentially toxic environment in your home.
Weve established that squirrels are no friend to your roof. So how do you go about getting rid of them?
Start by checking your roof and exterior walls for holes that squirrels could use to enter your home. Next, take a flashlight (and potentially an allergy mask) into the attic. Look for signs of rodent life. You may notice gnaw or claw marks, torn or missing insulation, shredded paper or concentrations of urine or feces.
Seal any potential entry holes and cracks. Be careful, as you dont want to seal the holes while the critters are still inside. The best way to accomplish this is to go into the attic and make a lot of noise before sealing. This will encourage the rodents to leave. You can also set traps or have an exterminator do it to capture the destructive little creatures.
Once youve gotten rid of the rodents, contact us to evaluate and repair any roof damage. Dont delay, because destruction caused by squirrels can lead to roof leaks and problems with the decking and underlying support system.
Once the squirrel damage has been repaired, its time to figure out how to keep them form coming back.
As long as they can access your roof, theyre likely to keep causing problems. Trimming nearby tree branches will help solve the problem. But keep in mind that squirrels are incredible jumpers. Prune any branches that are within 10 feet of your home to effectively prevent the critters from leaping onto the roof.
Eliminating bird feeders is another way to discourage squirrels. Bird feeders attract rodents because they present an easy source of food. And once they come for the free food, theyre likely to look around for shelter and more food.
Whether you have roof damage from a squirrel problem, weather or simply age, the professionals at Knockout Roofing can inspect your roof and make repairs to secure its integrity.
Contact our Salt Lake City, Utah, office today to request an estimate for roof damage repair.
The rest is here:
Can Squirrels Cause Roof Damage? | Knockout Roofing
- Squirrels: Facts, Identification & Control | Terminix - March 21st, 2019
- Pearland, TX Exterminator, Pest Control & Termite Inspector - March 11th, 2019
- Does Orkin Offer Solutions for Squirrel Problems? - ATOM - March 7th, 2019
- Connecticut Squirrel Exterminator | Squirrel Removal CT ... - February 20th, 2019
- Delaware Squirrel Removal - delaware-exterminator.com - February 18th, 2019
- Camelback Crickets - asktheexterminator.com - January 29th, 2019
- Squirrel Control - How To Get Rid Of Squirrels | DoMyOwn.com - December 22nd, 2018
- How To Control Squirrels | Solutions Pest & Lawn - September 19th, 2018
- Amazon.com : 2017 Upgraded Version SereneLife Electronic ... - July 30th, 2018
- Chesterfield MI Exterminator, Pest Control & Termite Inspector - July 16th, 2018
- Integrity Pest Control - -Termite -Rodent -Wildlife - July 6th, 2018
- Canton Termite And Pest Control (The Exterminator) - June 25th, 2018
- Urban Wildlife Control Atlanta GA - Atlanta Animal Control ... - June 19th, 2018
- Pest Control Long Island | Exterminator Long Island | Bug ... - June 16th, 2018
- Squirrel Infestations: Signs & Treatment - Orkin.com - May 24th, 2018
- Squirrel Pest Control & Removal - Get Rid of Squirrels - March 22nd, 2018
- Gopher Control, Gopher Removal, Exterminator - Gopher and ... - February 14th, 2018
- Squirrel Exterminator Syracuse, NY | Squirrel Pest Control ... - December 27th, 2017
- How to Get Rid of Squirrels - Do-It-Yourself Pest Control - December 19th, 2017
- Flying Squirrel | World's Weirdest - YouTube - December 8th, 2017
- Kingston, NY Exterminator | Insect & Rodent Pest Control - November 20th, 2017
- Katydid - Ask The Exterminator - November 20th, 2017
- Miller Pest Control: Pest Control & Exterminator Services - November 11th, 2017
- Looney Tunes-inspired mayhem gets tiresome fast - The Straits Times - September 5th, 2017
- Pest Control Company in NJ | Termite Control | Balance of ... - September 3rd, 2017
- No signs of rat infestation in Westerly | The Westerly Sun - The Westerly Sun - September 2nd, 2017
- In contrast to Stonington, Westerly hasn't had too many problems with rats - The Westerly Sun - September 1st, 2017
- 'The Nut Job 2: Nutty by Nature': You know what I'm saying? - Flayrah - August 28th, 2017
- White spots on crape myrtle could be scale - San Antonio Express-News (subscription) - August 25th, 2017
- Crape myrtle scales won't do permanent damage | Neil Sperry ... - Bryan-College Station Eagle - August 25th, 2017
- Movie review: Sequel squirrels away radical themes - Bloomington Pantagraph - August 18th, 2017
- How to Get Squirrels Out of Your Attic | Terminix - August 16th, 2017
- The Nut Job 2 marks a slight improvement on its way ... - The AV Club - A.V. Club - August 12th, 2017
- What's hot this week in theaters: The Nut Job 2 - Madison.com - August 12th, 2017
- Life at The Par 3 motel: 'It's no mansion' - Richmond.com - August 5th, 2017
- Police Report: Garth Road Woman Bitten by Dog; Speeding Driver Arrested on Post Road - Scarsdale10583.com - August 2nd, 2017
- Ammi Midstokke: Beauty of nature indisputable sometimes - The Spokesman-Review - July 31st, 2017
- Tips to keep rabies-carrying wildlife away from your home - WFXL FOX 31 - July 12th, 2017
- Grey squirrel exterminator branded 'racist' by wildlife activists - Telegraph.co.uk - July 8th, 2017
- RH Line calls printed June 3, 2017 - Loveland Reporter-Herald - Loveland Reporter-Herald - June 3rd, 2017
- Deer control needed - Pentiction Western News - June 3rd, 2017
- Voles ripping up yards across Winnipeg - MetroNews Canada - April 25th, 2017
- Spiders - Ask The Exterminator - April 21st, 2017
- Pest Control Wildlife Control Macon Georgia - Exterminator - April 20th, 2017
- What to watch on TV this weekend - Radio Times - April 10th, 2017
- So, just what did the Victorians ever do for us? Helen Arney investigates - Express.co.uk - April 2nd, 2017
- Will Mothballs Keep Squirrels Away? - pestkilled.com - March 11th, 2017
- Squirrels in the Attic - Charlotte Squirrel Removal - March 3rd, 2017
- In brief - Gillette News Record - February 19th, 2017
- Baits for Squirrels | Squirrel Baits | Havahart - January 25th, 2017
- Fogger - Ask The Exterminator - December 18th, 2016
- Toronto, ON Pest Control & Exterminator Services - December 14th, 2016
- Long Island Pest Control, Queens Exterminator - Top Quality - November 20th, 2016
- Exterminator Queens Village | Home | (347)-269-2307 - October 15th, 2016
- Termite Resistant Wood - Ask The Exterminator - October 15th, 2016
- Hawkeye Exterminators - Pest Control Des Moines , Iowa - September 22nd, 2016
- Palmetto Bugs - Ask The Exterminator - September 17th, 2016
- Squirrel Control: Trapping & Removal Service - August 31st, 2016
- Squirrel Damage | How To Stop Squirrels - November 2nd, 2015
- Quality Pest Control, Exterminator Services & Animal Removal - November 2nd, 2015
- Squirrel Control: Trapping & Removal - October 29th, 2015
- How to get rid of squirrels | ULTIMATE Repellent for ... - October 14th, 2015
- How to get rid of squirrels/chipmunks in attic ... - September 25th, 2015
- Ground Squirrel Control | RAM Pest Control - September 24th, 2015
- Squirrel Removal and Control - September 24th, 2015
- Squirrel Removal - Squirrel Control Solutions the Greater ... - September 9th, 2015
- Squirrel Control Products | Repel, Deter, Stop & Get Rid ... - September 8th, 2015
- Squirrel Trapping Removal and Control - Tucson, Arizona - September 3rd, 2015
- Squirrel Control Blog - Squirrel Information - August 28th, 2015
- Squirrel Pest Control Guide FOR BEGINNERS - August 17th, 2015
- Wildlife Control CT: Skunk, Raccoon & Squirrel Removal ... - July 31st, 2015
- Squirrel Removal NJ Squirrel Control - New Jersey Squirrel ... - July 31st, 2015
- Buy Squirrel Control Product at Economic Price - Pestmall - July 9th, 2015
- Squirrel Removal and Control - Animal Control Solutions - July 5th, 2015
- Techniques to control and manage tree squirrel damage - July 2nd, 2015
- Squirrel Control | Squirrels in Attic | Connor's Termite ... - July 2nd, 2015
- Squirrel Control - tunnelfill - July 2nd, 2015
- Squirrel Pest Control Effective Methods Of Prevention - July 2nd, 2015
- Pest Control And Extermination Of Squirrels | Suburban ... - July 2nd, 2015
- San Antonio Squirrel Removal - Squirrels in the Attic - June 21st, 2015