There are thousands of species of snakes throughout the world, found everywhere, but Antarctica. Most species are non-poisonous, and snakes that are — use their venom primarily to paralyze or kill prey, not for self-defense.
Snakes will always try to flee a scene, or hide before attacking. In the rare occasions that someone is bitten, its usually because the snake feels threatened. If you are bitten, remove yourself from the area you found the snake and seek medical attention immediately. Remove anything that may prevent blood circulation near the bite area, like clothing or jewelry. Then wash the wound with soap and warm water.
If bitten on your leg or arm, immobilize the extremity and make sure to keep it below your heart. Make note of the time you were bitten and the symptoms you experienced. Share every detail with the medical staff that arrives.
No matter what, do not try to suck the venom out, ice the wound, or use a tourniquet. None of these methods work effectively. If youve been bitten, focus on getting medical attention and following the steps above. Dont worry about trying to catch the snake or identifying it. It could lead to more bites.
Many people are terrified of snakes, especially when they find them in their home. Though most snakes wont seek refuge in your house, they may end up in your garage or basement by accident as they follow prey like mice and rats. They wont cause any structural damage to your home, but can certainly pose a health risk if the snake is venomous. If you are unsure if the snake in your home is venomous or are uncomfortable removing it from your home, contact a pest control company to get rid of the snake.
Snakes vary is size and color all across North America. Though most arent poisonous, its important to be able to identify possible species that can cause harm if you stumble across and scare them.
Perhaps the easiest snake to identify, this venomous family of snake is well-known for its rattler. There are several species in the United States that range in size from the foot long ridge-nosed rattlesnake to a 7 or 8ft long eastern diamondback rattlesnake. Rattlesnakes also have triangular heads.
The family Colubridae is sometimes known as common snakes. The largest group of snakes, with more than 2000 species, includes recognizable snakes like the milk snake, eastern hognose snake, or garter snake. Most species are small to medium sized.
Because of their venom and how its delivered to their prey, vipers are considered to be the most evolved family of snakes. In North America, these venomous snakes fall under the subfamily of pit vipers (Crotalinae). They have heat sensing pits that allow them to locate and strike prey even in the dark. The most common species of pit viper in the United States is the rattlesnake. Areas of Florida find the copperhead, cottonmouth and eastern diamondback rattlesnake to be most common. These snakes can be identified by their triangular heads, and of course, their distinctive rattler at the end of their tail.
Snakes are a great form of natural pest control as they love to eat rodents. This however may lead snakes into your garden, home, or garage because they are following their prey. Some snakes love to sun themselves and can be found on your driveway or out in the grass. Others will seek refuge or hide under rocks or in bushes in your yard.
Most snakes in North America are non-venomous, but families of snake like the cobra or coral snake (Elapidae), and pit vipers (Crotalinae) are poisonous. Regardless, being bitten by a snake can be very painful and can cause permanent tissue damage. If bitten, seek medical attention immediately. Most snakes, even the poisonous species, arent known to attack unless provoked. Snakes prefer to hide themselves with camouflage techniques, or flee the situation. Snakes usually only attack if they feel threatened. If you stumble across a snake, be sure to stay away as far as possible. If you find a snake in your home, remove yourself from the area and call a pest management professional immediately.
A pest management professional provides the proper expertise and experience to identify snakes in your home or yard and determine the best way to remove them safely.
Continue reading here:
Snakes | Catseye Pest Control
- WEC221/UW260: Dealing with Snakes in Florida's Residential ... - June 3rd, 2019
- How to Get Rid of Copperhead Snakes (A Simple Guide ... - May 21st, 2019
- How To Get Rid Of Snakes | Pest Control, Snake Removal ... - May 4th, 2019
- How to Get Rid of Snakes | Updated for 2019 - April 5th, 2019
- Keeping Copperhead Snakes Out of Your Yard | ThriftyFun - March 6th, 2019
- Corn Snake: Fun Facts You Never Knew - PestWiki - March 6th, 2019
- Snakes | eLocal - February 26th, 2019
- Samuel L. Jackson - IMDb - February 21st, 2019
- Best Plants that Naturally Repel Snakes | Updated for 2019 ... - February 1st, 2019
- Fire Ants And Snakes - kiltertermiteandpestcontrol.com - September 29th, 2018
- Snake Control: Trapping & Removal Service - September 28th, 2018
- Plainfield, NJ Animal Removal & Pest Wildlife Control - September 20th, 2018
- How to Get Rid of Snakes | Snake Repellents | Snake Traps - July 2nd, 2018
- Pest Control Service Exterminator Riverside, CA - June 25th, 2018
- Local Pest Exterminator Service Centers for Fayetteville, GA - June 22nd, 2018
- Tell Us: Snakes in the House? | The Old Farmer's Almanac - May 2nd, 2018
- Snake Control & Removal - Get Rid of Snakes - Orkin.com - April 1st, 2018
- Do your own pest control | Family Handyman - March 18th, 2018
- Snake Control - Snake Poison - domyown.com - January 23rd, 2018
- Reno, NV Exterminator Services | Pest Control Company - December 29th, 2017
- How to Get Rid of Snakes - Do-It-Yourself Pest Control - October 17th, 2017
- Cheapest Pest Control in Singapore | GreenCare - October 4th, 2017
- My 5 Days With Billy The Exterminator | Pest Cemetery - October 3rd, 2017
- Getting Rid of Snakes | ThriftyFun - September 29th, 2017
- Snake Poison - Do It Yourself Pest Control, Lawn Care ... - September 5th, 2017
- Outdoors: Rattlers once thrived in SB - South Bend Tribune - September 3rd, 2017
- How to Keep Snakes Away Fast: 5 Methods Youre Overlooking ... - August 30th, 2017
- 6 Critters You Might See This Summer - UC Davis - August 22nd, 2017
- Black widow: is Virginia's only native venomous spider lurking beneath your bed? - Rappahannock News - August 12th, 2017
- Bucky Gleason: Football mission takes UB senior from Bayou to Buffalo - Buffalo News - August 5th, 2017
- Common Eastern Garter Snake - Control & Removal - July 31st, 2017
- The Strain recap: 'One Shot' - EW.com (blog) - July 31st, 2017
- Billy The Exterminator - Reality Stars Net Worth - July 3rd, 2017
- Get rid of snakes in my house - Orkin.com - June 26th, 2017
- Woman wrestles huge black snake in home animal battle video ... - Daily Star - June 12th, 2017
- Exterminator discovers incredible find in local chimney - baby bobcats - FH Times - June 3rd, 2017
- Afghanistan: Was It Worth It? - America's 1st Freedom (press release) (blog) - May 23rd, 2017
- Billy the Exterminator has beaver troubles and deals with snakes on a boat - Monsters and Critics.com - April 15th, 2017
- 411MANIA | Ask 411 Wrestling: Breaking Down Shawn Michaels ... - 411mania.com - March 18th, 2017
- Large python tries to hide in car outside Davie home - Sun Sentinel - February 19th, 2017
- Briefs - Mohave Valley News - February 19th, 2017
- Police pull python playing mechanic from under the hood - CNET - February 17th, 2017
- How to Get Rid of Snakes in the Garage | eHow - December 3rd, 2016
- Snake Removal and Control - Rid-A-Critter - December 3rd, 2016
- Get Rid of Snakes | Connor's Termite & Pest Control - December 1st, 2016
- Professional Pest Control & Exterminator | Mesa, Gilbert ... - November 14th, 2016
- How to Get Rid of Garter Snakes | eHow - November 4th, 2015
- Watch Billy the Exterminator Videos - A&E - October 20th, 2015
- How to Keep Snakes Out of a Camper | eHow - October 20th, 2015
- Arrow Pest Control Exterminator & Wildlife Management - October 12th, 2015
- Pest Control Services | Angies List - October 4th, 2015
- Billy the Exterminator : Swamp Monster - aetv - September 25th, 2015
- Snake-A-Way snake repellent - PEST PRODUCTS - September 18th, 2015
- Florida Snakes - Catseye Pest Control - September 15th, 2015
- Snake Removal | Snake Exterminators - September 10th, 2015
- Snake Control techniques which are responsible and effective - September 7th, 2015
- NJ Pest Control | Wildlife Removal | 24 Hour Exterminator - September 7th, 2015
- Snake Pictures, SNAKES, Pictures Of Snakes - PEST PRODUCTS - September 4th, 2015
- Snake Removal, Trapping, and Proofing - Abolish Pest Control - August 28th, 2015
- Snake Away, Snake-A-Way Snake Repellent - Free Shipping - August 22nd, 2015
- Snakes | Exterminators - August 1st, 2015
- Pestproducts.com - Professional Pest Control Products And ... - July 31st, 2015
- Snakes In and Around the House - National... - July 2nd, 2015
- Poisonous Snakes, Venom, Snake Pictures - PEST PRODUCTS - July 2nd, 2015
- The Pest Depot - July 2nd, 2015
- Snake-A-Way Snake Repelling Granules - Pest Control Store - July 2nd, 2015
- Snake Control - Snake Poison - Do It Yourself Pest Control ... - June 24th, 2015
- Coral Snakes, coral snake, pictures - PEST PRODUCTS - June 23rd, 2015
- Pest Control for Pest Animals, Birds and Snakes - June 13th, 2015
- Snake Exterminators in Connecticut | EliminateEm - June 6th, 2015
- Snake Exterminators - Extermination of Snakes - June 1st, 2015
- Snake Control:Get Rid of Snakes - Removal & Repellents ... - June 1st, 2015
- Watch the Snake, Rattle and Roll Full Episode - Billy the ... - May 20th, 2015
- Garter Snakes - Ask The Exterminator - May 19th, 2015
- Billy the Exterminator - Episodes, Video & Schedule - A&E - May 19th, 2015
- VA Pest Control | DC Pest Control | Baltimore MD Pest ... - May 19th, 2015
- Snake In The House - How To Keep Snakes Out Of House! - Video - November 1st, 2012
- a snake in the duck blind - Video - November 1st, 2012
- Billy the Exterminator: Rattling - Video - October 13th, 2012
- Toddler Recovering After Copperhead Snake Bite - September 28th, 2012