Question: Getting Rid of Copperhead Snakes
March 7, 20120 found this helpful
Do copperhead snakes leave scents behind when they are killed to let other copperheads know the area is unoccupied? I ask this because we are staying on a farm and that is what they say. So we respect their wishes and we relocate the copperheads, across a river, instead of killing them.
March 8, 20122 found this helpful
Have you checked with the ag (agricultural) extension agent in your county about how to peacefully co-exist with copperheads? The number will be in the white pages of your phone book, or you can check their website by Googling. The website will have a ton of really good, scientifically sound information regarding all kinds of plants and animals found in your area.
I’m not a big fan of copperheads, but good on you for not killing every one you find, as they are actually a beneficial animal.
The presence of more than one indicates an environment favourable to them, might be you have a rodent population the copperheads see as a moveable buffet:) Every rat or squirrel the copperheads eat is one less rodent who might end up in your car, walls or attic chewing electrical wires.
However, copperheads can also hurt you or yours with their very serious bite. Best to get some trained advice from the ag extension agent nearest you.
March 2, 20151 found this helpful
Snakes do not travel in pairs for one. Two every venomous snake has slit eyes and in the case of copper heads also have venom glands giving them a spade shaped head. Dont listen to idiots telling you the only way to ID. them is to look at their fangs.
February 14, 20170 found this helpful
I would like to clarify potentially dangerous error. Not all venomous snakes have elliptical pupils. Coral snakes in the same family as cobra have solid black, round eyes. they are found in the south, southeast and southwest United States. To identify venomous coral snake from milk snakes which are very similar “red touches black, friendly Jack; red touches yellow, will kill a fellow.” They don’t bite often, but in recent years there have been more bites.
February 14, 20170 found this helpful
I’m not sure if the scent attracts other copperheads, but they do seem to emit a scent. I’ve heard it emits the scent when they are disturbed, but the scent has alerted me to the presence of copperheads several times. It’s a smell similar to cucumber melon scented candles or shampoo. Some describe it as just as cucumber. Others don’t smell it at all. On a side note Cottomouths smell like sewage.
March 15, 20170 found this helpful
My dad always said “when he smells cucumbers,there is a copperhead around. He would never eat a cucumber. We lived in the hills of southeastern Ky.
April 29, 20170 found this helpful
This may just be a silly myth but I’ve always heard that they smell like cucumbers as they are coiling ready to strike, not sure though, lol, maybe I’ll Google that
May 27, 20170 found this helpful
Are you seriously going to get close enough to see their pupils???!! Check the head, if it looks like a broad arrowhead, STAY BACK FOOL!!
September 3, 20170 found this helpful
Yes they do travel in pairs!! We had 2 together about 4 days ago. The same area today had 3 together.. So yes they do travel in pairs!!
September 3, 20170 found this helpful
I was cutting grass at my home and I have a concrete slab out back. I seen where I had hit and cut in half a baby snake. I it was a small copper head.
I’m having problems with baby copperheads. Just this month I’ve found three. One of them got into my house. I’ve lived in the same house for 3 years and never had this problem before. I read that this is the month that they should be hibernating. Why are they moving around and what can I do to locate where they might be? Does this mean that the nest or den is close by?
By stacy from Honey Grove, TX
October 29, 20090 found this helpful
Go to Sentinel Electronic Snake Repeller, lot of info there, good luck.
November 2, 20090 found this helpful
I think for a poisionous snake, I’d hire an exterminator.
I have garter snakes that live between my foundation and the sidewalk. I’ve had them come into my basement family room. They are very annoying.
September 6, 20160 found this helpful
Put sulfur out
October 28, 20091 found this helpful
Is there a snake I can keep around my property that will either eat or drive away copperheads? Last year we counted 5 different copperheads in our yard. As far as I know they’re still there. I have a 7 year old and a 2 year old who think snakes are great. My 2 year old thinks she can play with them so I am terrified she will get too close to a venomous one. I won’t kill them, but if I can get a non-venomous snake to move in to take their place it would be great.
Andrea from Grundy, VA
Call your local conservation department. They will surely advise you and/or come get them and relocate them to a better wild area. (01/30/2009)
By dede smith
Black snakes keeps the copperheads away, they kill them. If you don’t go the snake against snake route, use sulphur. You can buy sulphur in 25# bags. I use it to keep away snakes of all kinds and it keeps ticks away as well. You shouldn’t let your children play around the sulphur for safety sake. What I buy comes in small ball-like pellets, not powder. It does work, I have used it and I don’t have any snakes around of any kind. Call the Conservation Office for any other help. (01/30/2009)
There are sites that sell plastic Owls with movable heads for keeping birds and snakes away. Owls eat snakes so they scare them away. The trick is to move them around at least once a week. (01/30/2009)
Get a tom cat, then they kill rats and snakes. (01/31/2009)
My grampa used Guineas when he was growing up. They are like watch dogs and very noisy if anything comes around your house, but they eat all kinds of snakes. I have friends that have chickens and one Guinea and they have never seen a snake on their property. (02/03/2009)
If you can locate a king snake, they’re good to keep around your house because they eat all other snakes. Or, you can do what I do and spread sulfur powder around the perimeter of your yard, snakes will not cross that. You can get it at just about any garden supply place. (02/03/2009)
By Pat Giles
Read more here:
Keeping Copperhead Snakes Out of Your Yard | ThriftyFun
- How To Get Rid Of Snakes | Pest Control, Snake Removal ... - May 4th, 2019
- How to Get Rid of Snakes | Updated for 2019 - April 5th, 2019
- Corn Snake: Fun Facts You Never Knew - PestWiki - March 6th, 2019
- Snakes | eLocal - February 26th, 2019
- Samuel L. Jackson - IMDb - February 21st, 2019
- Best Plants that Naturally Repel Snakes | Updated for 2019 ... - February 1st, 2019
- Fire Ants And Snakes - kiltertermiteandpestcontrol.com - September 29th, 2018
- Snake Control: Trapping & Removal Service - September 28th, 2018
- Plainfield, NJ Animal Removal & Pest Wildlife Control - September 20th, 2018
- How to Get Rid of Snakes | Snake Repellents | Snake Traps - July 2nd, 2018
- Pest Control Service Exterminator Riverside, CA - June 25th, 2018
- Local Pest Exterminator Service Centers for Fayetteville, GA - June 22nd, 2018
- Snakes | Catseye Pest Control - June 17th, 2018
- Tell Us: Snakes in the House? | The Old Farmer's Almanac - May 2nd, 2018
- Snake Control & Removal - Get Rid of Snakes - Orkin.com - April 1st, 2018
- Do your own pest control | Family Handyman - March 18th, 2018
- Snake Control - Snake Poison - domyown.com - January 23rd, 2018
- Reno, NV Exterminator Services | Pest Control Company - December 29th, 2017
- How to Get Rid of Snakes - Do-It-Yourself Pest Control - October 17th, 2017
- Cheapest Pest Control in Singapore | GreenCare - October 4th, 2017
- My 5 Days With Billy The Exterminator | Pest Cemetery - October 3rd, 2017
- Getting Rid of Snakes | ThriftyFun - September 29th, 2017
- Snake Poison - Do It Yourself Pest Control, Lawn Care ... - September 5th, 2017
- Outdoors: Rattlers once thrived in SB - South Bend Tribune - September 3rd, 2017
- How to Keep Snakes Away Fast: 5 Methods Youre Overlooking ... - August 30th, 2017
- 6 Critters You Might See This Summer - UC Davis - August 22nd, 2017
- Black widow: is Virginia's only native venomous spider lurking beneath your bed? - Rappahannock News - August 12th, 2017
- Bucky Gleason: Football mission takes UB senior from Bayou to Buffalo - Buffalo News - August 5th, 2017
- Common Eastern Garter Snake - Control & Removal - July 31st, 2017
- The Strain recap: 'One Shot' - EW.com (blog) - July 31st, 2017
- Billy The Exterminator - Reality Stars Net Worth - July 3rd, 2017
- Get rid of snakes in my house - Orkin.com - June 26th, 2017
- Woman wrestles huge black snake in home animal battle video ... - Daily Star - June 12th, 2017
- Exterminator discovers incredible find in local chimney - baby bobcats - FH Times - June 3rd, 2017
- Afghanistan: Was It Worth It? - America's 1st Freedom (press release) (blog) - May 23rd, 2017
- Billy the Exterminator has beaver troubles and deals with snakes on a boat - Monsters and Critics.com - April 15th, 2017
- 411MANIA | Ask 411 Wrestling: Breaking Down Shawn Michaels ... - 411mania.com - March 18th, 2017
- Large python tries to hide in car outside Davie home - Sun Sentinel - February 19th, 2017
- Briefs - Mohave Valley News - February 19th, 2017
- Police pull python playing mechanic from under the hood - CNET - February 17th, 2017
- How to Get Rid of Snakes in the Garage | eHow - December 3rd, 2016
- Snake Removal and Control - Rid-A-Critter - December 3rd, 2016
- Get Rid of Snakes | Connor's Termite & Pest Control - December 1st, 2016
- Professional Pest Control & Exterminator | Mesa, Gilbert ... - November 14th, 2016
- How to Get Rid of Garter Snakes | eHow - November 4th, 2015
- Watch Billy the Exterminator Videos - A&E - October 20th, 2015
- How to Keep Snakes Out of a Camper | eHow - October 20th, 2015
- Arrow Pest Control Exterminator & Wildlife Management - October 12th, 2015
- Pest Control Services | Angies List - October 4th, 2015
- Billy the Exterminator : Swamp Monster - aetv - September 25th, 2015
- Snake-A-Way snake repellent - PEST PRODUCTS - September 18th, 2015
- Florida Snakes - Catseye Pest Control - September 15th, 2015
- Snake Removal | Snake Exterminators - September 10th, 2015
- Snake Control techniques which are responsible and effective - September 7th, 2015
- NJ Pest Control | Wildlife Removal | 24 Hour Exterminator - September 7th, 2015
- Snake Pictures, SNAKES, Pictures Of Snakes - PEST PRODUCTS - September 4th, 2015
- Snake Removal, Trapping, and Proofing - Abolish Pest Control - August 28th, 2015
- Snake Away, Snake-A-Way Snake Repellent - Free Shipping - August 22nd, 2015
- Snakes | Exterminators - August 1st, 2015
- Pestproducts.com - Professional Pest Control Products And ... - July 31st, 2015
- Snakes In and Around the House - National... - July 2nd, 2015
- Poisonous Snakes, Venom, Snake Pictures - PEST PRODUCTS - July 2nd, 2015
- The Pest Depot - July 2nd, 2015
- Snake-A-Way Snake Repelling Granules - Pest Control Store - July 2nd, 2015
- Snake Control - Snake Poison - Do It Yourself Pest Control ... - June 24th, 2015
- Coral Snakes, coral snake, pictures - PEST PRODUCTS - June 23rd, 2015
- Pest Control for Pest Animals, Birds and Snakes - June 13th, 2015
- Snake Exterminators in Connecticut | EliminateEm - June 6th, 2015
- Snake Exterminators - Extermination of Snakes - June 1st, 2015
- Snake Control:Get Rid of Snakes - Removal & Repellents ... - June 1st, 2015
- Watch the Snake, Rattle and Roll Full Episode - Billy the ... - May 20th, 2015
- Garter Snakes - Ask The Exterminator - May 19th, 2015
- Billy the Exterminator - Episodes, Video & Schedule - A&E - May 19th, 2015
- VA Pest Control | DC Pest Control | Baltimore MD Pest ... - May 19th, 2015
- Snake In The House - How To Keep Snakes Out Of House! - Video - November 1st, 2012
- a snake in the duck blind - Video - November 1st, 2012
- Billy the Exterminator: Rattling - Video - October 13th, 2012
- Toddler Recovering After Copperhead Snake Bite - September 28th, 2012
- NYC Best: Paul Rudd, Brooklyn Books, Bon Iver, Met Opera - September 21st, 2012
- A&E Brings Back "Parking Wars" and "Billy the Exterminator" for All New Seasons on Saturday, October 6 - September 21st, 2012