BEND Drive along the Pilot Butte Canal in Redmond in the spring and youll see ground squirrels scurry frantically back and forth across the road. Chubby rock chucks sprint from rock to rock.
Both types of rodents pop up, run around and then disappear into burrows. The underground dens and tunnels provide protection from predators and the elements, but they also risk causing millions of dollars in damage to urban developments.
Rodents living along canals pose a huge threat, irrigation district officials say. Their tunnels can cause a breach of the canal, sending surging water through neighborhoods and other urban developments. As a result, keeping tabs on the furry critters and the integrity of the canal is a full-time job for eight ditch riders employed by the Central Oregon Irrigation District.
Larry Roofner, operations manager for COID, drove along a portion of the canal sitting just above the soon-to-be Triple Ridge housing development Monday. This is one of the higher-risk areas and is monitored daily.
We have concern there, Roofner said. It carries about 300 cubic feet of water (per second). If that were to breach, there could be damage to what was previously irrigated land but is now a new subdivision and Ridgeview (High) School.
To try and prevent a breach, ditch riders keep high-powered pellet guns in their vehicles and will shoot rodents when possible. In addition, Roofner said the district contracts with exterminators to kill burrowers, usually through trapping, though he said they can use whatever means they deem necessary.
The district is tasked with maintaining roughly 450 miles of canals throughout the region, and rodent abatement is a part of that. However, not all see it that way.
Oakley Taylor, 61, lives just outside city limits to the southeast of Bend. Last week, she was told by a neighbor that the district was shooting river otters in the canal near her house with a rifle. It turned out to be muskrats being shot with a pellet gun, but nonetheless Taylor was upset. She called the district, as well as the Deschutes County Sheriffs Office.
They just wanted to come out to the neighborhood and shoot these muskrats or otters or whatever, Taylor said.
Roofner said he talked with Taylor, explaining that his employees were not killing the animals for sport as well as the devastation a breach could cause.
Taylor said she appreciated the conversation but thinks the district should make more of an effort to inform people living near the canals of the abatement and doesnt see why the rodents need to be killed.
Its sad, and I guess that is going to be more of the clash between animals and humans, and that isnt going to go away, she said.
Taylor is right. When the districts two canals were first built, the areas surrounding them were far more rural. But now in many places, such as Triple Ridge, they sit above residential areas, and a breach can cause serious damage to hundreds of homes. And the rodents can be ruthless; Roofner recalled digging up an area to find ground squirrels had honey-combed the earth on the edge of the canal.
But a more wildlife-friendly solution appears to be on its way. ShanRae Hawkins, spokesperson for the district, said it is working toward piping irrigation water rather than sending it down in open ditches. Hawkins said so far the district is in the engineering planning phase, and there is no timeline for piping. It would be a more efficient way to transport water and would also stop rodents from burrowing into the water supply, which becomes more important as urban density around the canals increases, as it has around Reed Market Road in Bend. A breach in that area, where the water flows at 500 cfs, would be devastating, Roofner said.
We would have water running down Third Street, he said.
More Oregon articles
Read the original post:
Burrowing rodents threaten Central Oregon canals – The Register-Guard
- Rodent Exterminator | Rodent Removal | Rodent Exterminators - May 29th, 2019
- Rodent Exterminators | Rodent Control & Removal | Allgood ... - May 24th, 2019
- Rodents | Boca Raton Termite Extermination, Pest Control ... - May 24th, 2019
- Pest Control Sacramento | Top Exterminators | Golden Hills ... - May 12th, 2019
- Mouse Exterminator Cost - Fixr.com - March 29th, 2019
- Rodent Control in Milwaukee County, WI | Rodent Exterminator - March 16th, 2019
- Beeline Pest Control - March 12th, 2019
- Exterminators Get Rid of Rodents Attic Crawlspace Rats ... - March 7th, 2019
- Pest Control Albuquerque | Exterminator Albuquerque NM - February 9th, 2019
- Seattle Commercial Rodent Control Exterminators for Rats ... - September 29th, 2018
- What Odors Do Rodents Like? | Pest Control and Bug ... - September 29th, 2018
- Anaheim Mice Control - Anaheim Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Peoria Mice Control - Peoria Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Norman Mice Control - Norman Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Rodents - Southold Pest Control and Exterminator - July 28th, 2018
- Rodents - Manhasset Pest Control and Exterminator - June 7th, 2018
- Rodents In Memphis Tn | Rodents Exterminator - May 28th, 2018
- New Jersey Mice & Rodent Control | Exterminator For ... - April 23rd, 2018
- Mice, Rodent, and Rat Exterminator in Buffalo, NY - March 26th, 2018
- DIY Rodent Control & Traps | Rodent Extermination Products ... - March 9th, 2018
- Rodent Control Exterminator - Hitmen Termite & Pest Control - January 25th, 2018
- Exterminator does the dirty work for rodent-besieged ... - January 7th, 2018
- DIY Rodent Control, Traps, and Rodent Extermination ... - November 18th, 2017
- #1 Pest Control in Chicago, Illinois! Top Exterminator for ... - October 28th, 2017
- Local rat population surging - The Daily Post - September 5th, 2017
- Pest Control Exterminator in Buffalo, NY - ProStar Pest ... - August 29th, 2017
- Couple's horror as plague of rats infests their car and EATS the engine while their other motor is littered with ... - The Sun - August 26th, 2017
- Flea Control, Treatment, and Prevention - Victoria Advocate - August 7th, 2017
- The number of rat infestations in Leicester is going up - Leicester Mercury - August 4th, 2017
- Employees say Jacksonville International Airport has major rat infestation - ActionNewsJax.com - August 4th, 2017
- Creepy creature a mix between spider, scorpion; native to Arizona - ABC2 News - August 2nd, 2017
- Calling the Pied Piper: Rats invade Petaluma - Petaluma Argus Courier - July 31st, 2017
- Feral cats in demand | Calaveras County's Most Trusted News ... - Calaveras Enterprise - July 31st, 2017
- New York unveils $32-million fight vs rats - Inquirer.net - July 13th, 2017
- Mice seen as invading City Hall - Philly.com - Philly.com - July 13th, 2017
- Hartford residents speak out on unsafe, unhealthy living conditions ... - FOX 61 - July 12th, 2017
- North End Residents Organize Against Alleged Neglect By Landlord - Hartford Courant - July 11th, 2017
- Get Rid of Rodents | pest-control.com | pest-control.com - July 10th, 2017
- Dirty Dining: Alessi Bakery's rodent infestation evident by rodent ... - ABC Action News - July 8th, 2017
- From toilet bowls to car engines, rat sightings are up at Danforth and Woodbine - CBC.ca - July 3rd, 2017
- 'They were nesting in my underpants' - John Woodhouse on the city's rodent issues - Stoke Sentinel - July 2nd, 2017
- Dirty Dining: Bombay Grill Indian Cuisine shut down for 700+ rodent droppings in kitchen - ABC Action News - June 24th, 2017
- How a Joke About Flying Squirrels Led to an Ailing Woman's Cure - New York Times - June 22nd, 2017
- DNA from Egyptian mummies and Viking graves reveals how cats conquered the world - Popular Science - June 19th, 2017
- Philly nursing home has abysmal rating and rodents, too - Philly.com - June 12th, 2017
- Rat Mob! Rodents Swarm in Myanmar Villages - Live Science - June 8th, 2017
- Villagers fight back as rat hordes swarm Irrawaddy Delta's Ngapudaw - DVB (registration) - June 6th, 2017
- Minnesota sewer rats create nightmare for homeowner - THV 11 - June 6th, 2017
- My College Roommates Were Rats - The New Yorker - June 6th, 2017
- Thursday's best TV: Paula; The Truth About HIV; Jago: A Life ... - The Guardian - May 25th, 2017
- The Arizona Department of Economic Security Is Infested With Rats (Literally) - Phoenix New Times - May 20th, 2017
- MPI's Changes To Rodent Claim Policy Could Mean Lost Local Jobs ... - PembinaValleyOnline.com - May 1st, 2017
- Rodent Control and Removal Methods | Terminix - April 29th, 2017
- Long-time Atlanta restaurant fails second health inspection in seven months - WSB Atlanta - April 19th, 2017
- Former employee posts video of rats in Denison Little Caesar's - KXII-TV - April 13th, 2017
- San Francisco Cockroach Exterminator Bed Bug Rodent & Ant Pest Control Announced - MilTech - April 12th, 2017
- Digging rodents threaten canal safety in Central Oregon; Ground ... - Bend Bulletin - April 12th, 2017
- Rats! Infestation forces firefighters from Riverside South station ... - Ottawa Sun - April 3rd, 2017
- Exterminators tackle Riverside South fire station rats - Ottawa Citizen - April 3rd, 2017
- Massive amounts of trash are attracting rats and ruining this neighborhood - New York Post - April 3rd, 2017
- 'Swainsboro Apartments' Facing Major Rodent Problems That Are Going Unnoticed by Management - WJBF-TV - March 30th, 2017
- Gnawing costs force Manitoba Public Insurance to change rodent claim policy - Yahoo News - March 24th, 2017
- Gnawing costs force Manitoba Public Insurance to change rodent claim policy - Brandon Sun - March 23rd, 2017
- Rat Hunters in Paris Go on Strike to Demand Pay Raise - Heat Street - March 16th, 2017
- What killed owl at Forest Lawn? Maybe not what you think. - Buffalo News - March 5th, 2017
- What killed owl at Forest Lawn? Maybe not what you think. - The ... - Buffalo News - March 2nd, 2017
- Guardian Angels take up rat control as side gig - New York Post - March 2nd, 2017
- CIRCLING THE SQUARE: The Oscars were nothing compared to my squirrels - Wicked Local Danvers - March 2nd, 2017
- Tell me all you know about the rat! - Kokomo Herald (press release) - February 25th, 2017
- Don't bother petting these cats -- they're working - CBS News - February 24th, 2017
- 'The Cat That Changed America' premieres: Documentary stars Malibuites and local advocates - Malibu Surfside News (press release) (registration)... - February 21st, 2017
- College girls hailed for rat extermination genius - New York Post - February 17th, 2017
- Bed Bugs Found at Second DC Elementary School - NBC4 Washington - February 16th, 2017
- Paris fights rat infestation - WSYR - February 16th, 2017
- Notorious slumlord owns building with disease-carrying rats - New York Post - February 16th, 2017
- Rodent-ridden Bronx building at center of urine plague becomes Health Department battleground - New York Daily News - February 16th, 2017
- The US Army vet, IDF volunteer, now in Congress - Jewish Journal - February 8th, 2017
- Rodents and Rodent Control - Do-It-Yourself Pest Control - January 7th, 2017
- MIce & Rodents Control NY, NJ, PA & MD | Exterminator For ... - December 3rd, 2016
- Pest Control in Santa Rosa, CA | Termites, Rodents & Insects - September 17th, 2016