ARE RODENTS CAUSE FOR CONCERN
Rodents & Disease In addition to being tough to control, rodents may carry diseases and taint food with waste, fur, and saliva. In fact, mice can contaminate about 10 times the amount of food they eat. The CDC links some rodents to hantavirus pulmonary syndrome, a disease fatal in about 36 percent of all reported U.S. cases.
The pests are also hosts for fleas, which can spread plague and diseases like lymphocytic choriomeningitis virus. This illness mostly affects those with weakened immune systems and may result in headaches, fever, and meningitis. It can also cause complications during pregnancy.
It is not advisable to handle any wild rodent. They are equipped with large teeth and are capable of transmitting a variety of bacteria, viruses and diseases through their saliva, feces and urine.
If you locate a rodent within your home, it is best to contact a pest management professional for removal and identification. The presence of one rodent within a home could signal an infestation.
Keep all children and pets away from the rodent. If cornered, the rodent will bite to defend itself.
Rodents thrive across the world in almost any habitat with access to food and water. Because of their small size, they can be difficult to keep out of a home. Rats can get indoors through holes the size of a quarter, while mice can use gaps the size of a dime to come inside.
Rodents are a group of nuisance pests that includes mice, rats, and squirrels. These animals can contaminate food, damage property, and spread disease. The rodents that most often come into conflict with people in the United States are:
Read more information about rats.
Read more information about mice.
Rodents are some of the most adaptable creatures on the planet and can be extremely difficult to exterminate. Infestations can cause considerable damage to infested buildings and local agriculture as well as the proliferation of many diseases hazardous to humans.
Rats and mice are both extremely destructive within agricultural communities. A number of species feed on seeds and grains. The feces and urine of some rodents may contaminate surfaces with which they come into contact.
Unified efforts on the part of neighbors can prove extremely effective in preventing infestations. Within apartment buildings and neighborhoods, coordination of prevention measures may include cleaning efforts and landscape alteration. And on an individual level, homes can be rodent-proofed through identifying and sealing as many possible entry points.
In order to protect your home, garden and health from existing rodent infestations however, professional, customized solutions are often necessary.
Prevention methods should be implemented early in order to maintain a rodent-free home. Rodents reproduce rapidly, and small populations become full-blown infestations in very little time.
Food storageKeep any possible food sources away from rodents. Small crumbs and garbage are popular sources of infestation, as are dry goods such as grains and cereals. These should be kept in sealed metal or glass containers to prevent contamination. Fruits and vegetables should also be stored properly, and resulting waste should never be left in sinks or on counters.
CardboardCardboard objects prove attractive to rodents, as they tend to chew them up for use in their nests.
Seal openingsBecause of the rodents body plan, they are capable of squeezing through spaces that appear to be much too small for them. All such holes should be sealed to prevent entry and reentry of rodents.
A pest control professional should be contacted for assistance.
Rodents tend to be rapid breeders. Some species breed year-round, and populations are maintained through constant reproduction. Females produce pheromones that attract the attention of males. After sensing the females hormones, the male mouse emits an ultrasonic mating call.
A female mouse produces between five and eight offspring after mating. Although females are protective of their young, some also consume their offspring if exposed to high stress such as famine.
Mice young are blind, deaf and hairless for the first three days following birth. For mice with dark adult coloration, pigmentation of the skin begins on the third day. Within five to seven days, fur begins to grow and the ears become receptive. Eyes open between days 10 and 14, at which point young mice become mobile and begin to feed on solid foods.
In 21 to 28 days, babies wean from their mothers milk. They reach maturity between days 28 and 35 and are then capable of reproduction. Some specimens are capable of breeding at six weeks. Mice tend to live for approximately one year.
Originally posted here:
Rodent Control: Get Rid of Rats and Mice
- Where to live in New York City to avoid cockroaches, rats ... - April 12th, 2019
- Exterminator & Pest Control Company in Amherst | Amherst ... - March 28th, 2019
- How Much Do Rat Exterminators Cost? (A Simple Guide ... - February 23rd, 2019
- How to Get Rid of Rats: Rat Control & Extermination ... - February 15th, 2019
- Exterminator Synonyms, Exterminator Antonyms | Thesaurus.com - February 3rd, 2019
- Rodent control - Western Exterminator - January 29th, 2019
- Rodent Control | A1 Exterminators Lynn MA | Ants, Termites ... - January 11th, 2019
- Rat Control - Western Exterminator - December 16th, 2018
- Commercial Buildings Exterminators - Homes Pest control ... - November 22nd, 2018
- Little Rascals Rodents - Rats in the Attic, Rat ... - November 19th, 2018
- Rat Exterminator - Rat Removal Service - Rat Pest Control - November 9th, 2018
- Rat Exterminators: How to Hire a Professional and NOT Get ... - September 5th, 2018
- Billy the Exterminator: Sugar Rat | A&E - YouTube - August 18th, 2018
- San Antonio Pest Control | Bed Bugs, Fleas, Rats ... - May 13th, 2018
- Pest Control Houma, LA Exterminator Terminix Pest ... - May 11th, 2018
- Insight Pest Control Ventura: Exterminator & Termite ... - April 20th, 2018
- We Kill Pest Control Hollywood is professional exterminator - April 1st, 2018
- Info Center: Learn about Rodents | Terminix - March 16th, 2018
- DIY Rat Extermination RATCONTROLTRICKS.COM - December 22nd, 2017
- Pest Control NJ, Pest Control NYC, Bed Bug Exterminator NYC E - November 9th, 2017
- VIDEO: Berkeley neighborhood sees rise in rat infestations - KRON4.com - September 8th, 2017
- 'Ratpocalypse' Caused by Climate Change Could Increase Spread of Disease - Healthline - September 8th, 2017
- Public health asked to find rat problem solutions - St. Catharines Standard - September 7th, 2017
- Rats vs. Mice | Western Exterminator - September 6th, 2017
- Rodents take over home while family flees wildfires - CBC.ca - September 2nd, 2017
- Waldwick Residents In Search Of Solution For Sudden Surge In Rat Sightings - CBS New York - September 2nd, 2017
- Rat reports across Wichita are 'highly unusual,' biologist says - Wichita Eagle - September 2nd, 2017
- 'Rat Boom' Besieges NJ Town - NBC 10 Philadelphia - September 2nd, 2017
- Oh, rats! Waldwick residents say rodents have overtaken neighborhood - NorthJersey.com - August 28th, 2017
- Forced out by rats - Burnaby Now - August 24th, 2017
- Township Addresses Rodent Issue in Putnam Manor Area After ... - TAPinto.net - August 23rd, 2017
- Modesto tenants living in condemned building sue landlord - Modesto Bee - August 22nd, 2017
- Rats and kitchen filth are fodder for naming and shaming restaurants - Cadtle Hills News - August 20th, 2017
- Bircher Exterminating | Phoenix Exterminator | HOA ... - August 11th, 2017
- Urban rodentologist says concerted effort will be needed to stop rats - The Westerly Sun - August 11th, 2017
- 15 recognized by Rochester city manager - News - fosters.com ... - Foster's Daily Democrat - July 31st, 2017
- Rats taking over Brooklyn grandmother's home - New York's PIX11 / WPIX-TV - July 13th, 2017
- Pawcatuck rat problem gets worse - The Westerly Sun - July 13th, 2017
- Rats worry Sun Cities homeowners - YourWestValley.com - July 5th, 2017
- Rats, Mad Mex in University City is shut down again - Billy Penn - July 1st, 2017
- Progress seen in Stonington rat-removal efforts in Millan Terrace area - The Westerly Sun - June 28th, 2017
- Justice Woman Arrested For Bringing Rat Remains Into Village Board Meeting: VIDEO - Patch.com - June 27th, 2017
- Progress seen in rat removal - The Westerly Sun - June 25th, 2017
- How To Get Rid of Rats in the Attic | Western Exterminator - June 18th, 2017
- County health department battles growing rat population - wivb.com - June 17th, 2017
- Rat Burrows Bulldozed and Paved Over Outside Roosevelt Island School - DNAinfo - June 13th, 2017
- Stonington offers help to neighbors battling rat infestation | The ... - The Westerly Sun - June 10th, 2017
- Ledge Light addressing rat infestation in Pawcatuck neighborhood - theday.com (subscription) - June 8th, 2017
- Sewer rats create nightmare for Minnesota homeowner - KPNX 12 News TV - June 6th, 2017
- Cinemadope: City Mouse - Valley Advocate - June 6th, 2017
- Swarms Of Rats Seen Around 2 Schools On Roosevelt Island - CBS New York - June 6th, 2017
- St. Paul sewer rats create nightmare for homeowner | KARE11.com - KARE - June 6th, 2017
- Rats Run Amok Outside Roosevelt Island School - DNAinfo - June 4th, 2017
- From fixing a Bronx man's wheelchair to helping a disabled Harlem woman move Monica is making it happen - New York's PIX11 / WPIX-TV - May 27th, 2017
- Ausable pledges money for rat remediation - Sun Community News - May 16th, 2017
- Rat complaint numbers 'nominal,' says city staff - Yahoo News Canada - Yahoo News Canada (blog) - May 13th, 2017
- Rat complaint numbers 'nominal,' says city staff - CBC.ca - May 12th, 2017
- Chickens, composting and uninvited guests - The Register-Guard - May 8th, 2017
- Bawdy rat races return to Northern Kentucky - WCPO Cincinnati, OH - WCPO - May 6th, 2017
- Quincy not plagued by rats like previous 2 years - The Patriot Ledger - May 6th, 2017
- Mighty Rats Mice Exterminator To Seattle Home and Commercial Businesses Buildings - Digital Journal - May 3rd, 2017
- Got Rodents? Mice, Rats Exterminator: Canberra Pest Control - April 30th, 2017
- Birds and the bees can bring misery to Ahwatukee - Ahwatukee Foothills News - April 30th, 2017
- Seattle's rat psychologist will chase rodents away - MyNorthwest.com - April 20th, 2017
- Seattle king county pest control companies reveal Abandoned ... - Press Release Rocket - April 5th, 2017
- Rats have run of Brooklyn neighborhood - Fox5NY - April 5th, 2017
- Rat infestation prompts relocation of Riverside... - www.ottawacommunitynews.com/ - April 3rd, 2017
- Rodent infestation forces evacuation of Riverside South fire station ... - CBC.ca - April 3rd, 2017
- Restaurant closures reveal Charleston's hidden pests - ABC NEWS 4 - March 30th, 2017
- BOE says Sandy Creek rats are under control - Fayette Newspapers - March 30th, 2017
- Rats and kitchen filth are fodder for naming and shaming restaurants - Ballarat Courier - March 29th, 2017
- Students complain of rat infestation in high school - WSB Radio - March 28th, 2017
- Students say school infested with rats | WSB-TV - WSB Atlanta - March 24th, 2017
- Rat infestation at Orlando senior facility not being fixed, residents say - WFTV Orlando - March 23rd, 2017
- Township continues to monitor rodents, vermin in neighborhoods | C ... - C&G Newspapers - March 16th, 2017
- Documentary 'Rat Film' explores Baltimore's rodent problem and much more - Baltimore Sun - March 16th, 2017
- The director of this movie about rats has some novel ideas about Trump and filmmaking - Los Angeles Times - March 13th, 2017
- Rats causing trouble throughout the region - Times Colonist - March 11th, 2017
- Bill requires properties to be rat-free before demolition in Baltimore County - WBAL Baltimore - March 10th, 2017
- After Deadly Outbreak, I-Team Reveals New York City's Most Rat-Infested Neighborhoods - NBC New York - March 8th, 2017