A rat infestation at the Riverside South fire station over the weekend forced the redeployment of firefighters to neighbouring stations.
Fire department officials were alerted Friday night that rats were seen at the property located at 910 Earl Armstrong Rd., east of the Vimy Memorial Bridge.
Saturday morning it was escalated when the number of rats outside looked like there was an infestation, said fire department Deputy Chief Kim Ayotte, adding that the departments joint occupational health and safety committee was sent to the site to assess the problem.
Some of the earlier reports were that there were as many as 30 rats in the area outside, he said. None of the rats were in the building except there is a vestibule in the front of the building and those are the walls that the rats may have gotten in.
The smell of urine coming from the small vestibule entryway on the administration side of the building also indicated that there was a problem within the building. Department officials later confirmed rodents had built nests on the outside of the building and burrowed into the vestible.
Crews were temporarily relocated Friday night to fire stations in Barrhaven and Leitrim to err on the side of caution while an exterminator came in on Saturday to assess the problem. City staff were also called in.
The stations vestibule was sealed off and work began to completely disinfect the station. Following that, firefighters were scheduled to return to Station 37 on Monday, April 3 at 5 p.m. Until then, the on-duty crew rotated throughout Riverside South conducting training and spot checks to provide coverage of the area and ensure public safety wasnt affected, Ayotte said.
The extermination will continue for the next few days, he said Monday, adding that steps needed to be taken to control the rat population outside. They need to deal with that issue first and then theyll deal with the vestibule, Ayotte said.
It will also be determined if any walls need to be torn down, Ayotte said.
Thats all part of the investigation process, he noted. And thatll take place over the next day or two.
Department officials also said next steps include monitoring the air quality inside the station and an environmental engineer will determine when the building will be operational.
While Ayotte did not immediately know what caused the infestation, a longtime Ottawa extermination expert who is not handling the Riverside South situation said the rat influx is not surprising given construction of a residential community near the station.
They could be nesting in the area and when the area has been disturbed the rats will obviously move, said Kelly Finlan, branch manager of Abell Pest Control in Nepean.
Hes seen this happen before, specifically in downtown Ottawa with the construction of light-rail tunnels.
Theres just been an amazing spike in the amount of rats downtown, said Finlan, who has worked in the extermination industry for 14 years.
Rats leave urine trails which attract fellow rodents to follow, he said, adding theyre also very good at getting into properties no matter how well they are built.
They can go through cement, he said.
Erin McCracken is a reporter/photographer with Metroland Medias Ottawa South News. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow her on Twitter and Facebook.
Read more from the original source:
Rat infestation prompts relocation of Riverside… – http://www.ottawacommunitynews.com/
- Where to live in New York City to avoid cockroaches, rats ... - April 12th, 2019
- Exterminator & Pest Control Company in Amherst | Amherst ... - March 28th, 2019
- Rodent Control: Get Rid of Rats and Mice - February 27th, 2019
- How Much Do Rat Exterminators Cost? (A Simple Guide ... - February 23rd, 2019
- How to Get Rid of Rats: Rat Control & Extermination ... - February 15th, 2019
- Exterminator Synonyms, Exterminator Antonyms | Thesaurus.com - February 3rd, 2019
- Rodent control - Western Exterminator - January 29th, 2019
- Rodent Control | A1 Exterminators Lynn MA | Ants, Termites ... - January 11th, 2019
- Rat Control - Western Exterminator - December 16th, 2018
- Commercial Buildings Exterminators - Homes Pest control ... - November 22nd, 2018
- Little Rascals Rodents - Rats in the Attic, Rat ... - November 19th, 2018
- Rat Exterminator - Rat Removal Service - Rat Pest Control - November 9th, 2018
- Rat Exterminators: How to Hire a Professional and NOT Get ... - September 5th, 2018
- Billy the Exterminator: Sugar Rat | A&E - YouTube - August 18th, 2018
- San Antonio Pest Control | Bed Bugs, Fleas, Rats ... - May 13th, 2018
- Pest Control Houma, LA Exterminator Terminix Pest ... - May 11th, 2018
- Insight Pest Control Ventura: Exterminator & Termite ... - April 20th, 2018
- We Kill Pest Control Hollywood is professional exterminator - April 1st, 2018
- Info Center: Learn about Rodents | Terminix - March 16th, 2018
- DIY Rat Extermination RATCONTROLTRICKS.COM - December 22nd, 2017
- Pest Control NJ, Pest Control NYC, Bed Bug Exterminator NYC E - November 9th, 2017
- VIDEO: Berkeley neighborhood sees rise in rat infestations - KRON4.com - September 8th, 2017
- 'Ratpocalypse' Caused by Climate Change Could Increase Spread of Disease - Healthline - September 8th, 2017
- Public health asked to find rat problem solutions - St. Catharines Standard - September 7th, 2017
- Rats vs. Mice | Western Exterminator - September 6th, 2017
- Rodents take over home while family flees wildfires - CBC.ca - September 2nd, 2017
- Waldwick Residents In Search Of Solution For Sudden Surge In Rat Sightings - CBS New York - September 2nd, 2017
- Rat reports across Wichita are 'highly unusual,' biologist says - Wichita Eagle - September 2nd, 2017
- 'Rat Boom' Besieges NJ Town - NBC 10 Philadelphia - September 2nd, 2017
- Oh, rats! Waldwick residents say rodents have overtaken neighborhood - NorthJersey.com - August 28th, 2017
- Forced out by rats - Burnaby Now - August 24th, 2017
- Township Addresses Rodent Issue in Putnam Manor Area After ... - TAPinto.net - August 23rd, 2017
- Modesto tenants living in condemned building sue landlord - Modesto Bee - August 22nd, 2017
- Rats and kitchen filth are fodder for naming and shaming restaurants - Cadtle Hills News - August 20th, 2017
- Bircher Exterminating | Phoenix Exterminator | HOA ... - August 11th, 2017
- Urban rodentologist says concerted effort will be needed to stop rats - The Westerly Sun - August 11th, 2017
- 15 recognized by Rochester city manager - News - fosters.com ... - Foster's Daily Democrat - July 31st, 2017
- Rats taking over Brooklyn grandmother's home - New York's PIX11 / WPIX-TV - July 13th, 2017
- Pawcatuck rat problem gets worse - The Westerly Sun - July 13th, 2017
- Rats worry Sun Cities homeowners - YourWestValley.com - July 5th, 2017
- Rats, Mad Mex in University City is shut down again - Billy Penn - July 1st, 2017
- Progress seen in Stonington rat-removal efforts in Millan Terrace area - The Westerly Sun - June 28th, 2017
- Justice Woman Arrested For Bringing Rat Remains Into Village Board Meeting: VIDEO - Patch.com - June 27th, 2017
- Progress seen in rat removal - The Westerly Sun - June 25th, 2017
- How To Get Rid of Rats in the Attic | Western Exterminator - June 18th, 2017
- County health department battles growing rat population - wivb.com - June 17th, 2017
- Rat Burrows Bulldozed and Paved Over Outside Roosevelt Island School - DNAinfo - June 13th, 2017
- Stonington offers help to neighbors battling rat infestation | The ... - The Westerly Sun - June 10th, 2017
- Ledge Light addressing rat infestation in Pawcatuck neighborhood - theday.com (subscription) - June 8th, 2017
- Sewer rats create nightmare for Minnesota homeowner - KPNX 12 News TV - June 6th, 2017
- Cinemadope: City Mouse - Valley Advocate - June 6th, 2017
- Swarms Of Rats Seen Around 2 Schools On Roosevelt Island - CBS New York - June 6th, 2017
- St. Paul sewer rats create nightmare for homeowner | KARE11.com - KARE - June 6th, 2017
- Rats Run Amok Outside Roosevelt Island School - DNAinfo - June 4th, 2017
- From fixing a Bronx man's wheelchair to helping a disabled Harlem woman move Monica is making it happen - New York's PIX11 / WPIX-TV - May 27th, 2017
- Ausable pledges money for rat remediation - Sun Community News - May 16th, 2017
- Rat complaint numbers 'nominal,' says city staff - Yahoo News Canada - Yahoo News Canada (blog) - May 13th, 2017
- Rat complaint numbers 'nominal,' says city staff - CBC.ca - May 12th, 2017
- Chickens, composting and uninvited guests - The Register-Guard - May 8th, 2017
- Bawdy rat races return to Northern Kentucky - WCPO Cincinnati, OH - WCPO - May 6th, 2017
- Quincy not plagued by rats like previous 2 years - The Patriot Ledger - May 6th, 2017
- Mighty Rats Mice Exterminator To Seattle Home and Commercial Businesses Buildings - Digital Journal - May 3rd, 2017
- Got Rodents? Mice, Rats Exterminator: Canberra Pest Control - April 30th, 2017
- Birds and the bees can bring misery to Ahwatukee - Ahwatukee Foothills News - April 30th, 2017
- Seattle's rat psychologist will chase rodents away - MyNorthwest.com - April 20th, 2017
- Seattle king county pest control companies reveal Abandoned ... - Press Release Rocket - April 5th, 2017
- Rats have run of Brooklyn neighborhood - Fox5NY - April 5th, 2017
- Rodent infestation forces evacuation of Riverside South fire station ... - CBC.ca - April 3rd, 2017
- Restaurant closures reveal Charleston's hidden pests - ABC NEWS 4 - March 30th, 2017
- BOE says Sandy Creek rats are under control - Fayette Newspapers - March 30th, 2017
- Rats and kitchen filth are fodder for naming and shaming restaurants - Ballarat Courier - March 29th, 2017
- Students complain of rat infestation in high school - WSB Radio - March 28th, 2017
- Students say school infested with rats | WSB-TV - WSB Atlanta - March 24th, 2017
- Rat infestation at Orlando senior facility not being fixed, residents say - WFTV Orlando - March 23rd, 2017
- Township continues to monitor rodents, vermin in neighborhoods | C ... - C&G Newspapers - March 16th, 2017
- Documentary 'Rat Film' explores Baltimore's rodent problem and much more - Baltimore Sun - March 16th, 2017
- The director of this movie about rats has some novel ideas about Trump and filmmaking - Los Angeles Times - March 13th, 2017
- Rats causing trouble throughout the region - Times Colonist - March 11th, 2017
- Bill requires properties to be rat-free before demolition in Baltimore County - WBAL Baltimore - March 10th, 2017
- After Deadly Outbreak, I-Team Reveals New York City's Most Rat-Infested Neighborhoods - NBC New York - March 8th, 2017