Tenants living in a condemned downtown Modesto apartment building plagued by rotting floors, mold, rats and cockroaches, faulty plumbing, as well as a host of other problems are suing the buildings owners.
California Rural Legal Assistance filed the lawsuit Friday in Stanislaus Superior Court on behalf of seven of the tenants. The lawsuit names Turlock husband and wife Steve and Noma Arakelian as defendants. The lawsuits claims include negligence, breach of contract, and unlawful business practices. It seeks financial damages for the tenants and attorneys fees for CRLA.
CRLA expects the Arakelians will be served with the lawsuit this week.
The lawsuit states the seven tenants paid their rent and honored the terms of their leases while the Arakelians failed to provide them with safe, sanitary and habitable living conditions.
The Arakelians own the two-story building of 27 studio apartments at 624 Ninth St. The on-site manager said last month that about 80 poor people lived in the building. Tenants have said about a dozen children have lived there. Rent is $575 or $585 a month. Modesto has condemned the building.
Steve Arakelian did not return a phone call seeking comment Monday afternoon. He has blamed some tenants for damaging and vandalizing the building, though several tenants have said Arakelian does not make repairs or makes inadequate repairs, such as giving tenants small amounts of rat poison rather than hiring an exterminator for the entire building.
Aurora Thome an attorney with CRLAs Modesto office said the problems started from the time the tenants represented by the CRLA moved in. She said one tenant caught about a dozen mice in the first week of living in the building.
Arakelian has said he does not have the money to repair the building and has put it up for sale. He had notices issued to tenants last month, saying he was terminating their leases and they had 30 or 60 days to leave. Tenants who had lived in the building less than a year were given 30 days, those who had lived there longer were given 60 days.
The notices said if the tenants were not out within 30 or 60 days, Arakelian could take them to court to evict them. Thome said some tenants recently received eviction paperwork. She said CRLA is working with the tenants in the lawsuit who received eviction paperwork but said other tenants who received the paperwork are welcome to contact CRLA to see if it can help them.
Modesto, Stanislaus County and social service providers are working with tenants to find them housing. Some tenants have found homes, while others have been placed temporarily in motels and respite housing. Others still live in the building, including the seven suing the Arakelians.
Modesto is providing tenants who get new housing with relocation benefits, which it expects to be about $1,200 per apartment. The city has provided tenants with the forms to apply for the benefits. The Arakelians are required to provide relocation benefits but failed to do so. The city will seek reimbursement from them for what it pays out.
- Where to live in New York City to avoid cockroaches, rats ... - April 12th, 2019
- Exterminator & Pest Control Company in Amherst | Amherst ... - March 28th, 2019
- Rodent Control: Get Rid of Rats and Mice - February 27th, 2019
- How Much Do Rat Exterminators Cost? (A Simple Guide ... - February 23rd, 2019
- How to Get Rid of Rats: Rat Control & Extermination ... - February 15th, 2019
- Exterminator Synonyms, Exterminator Antonyms | Thesaurus.com - February 3rd, 2019
- Rodent control - Western Exterminator - January 29th, 2019
- Rodent Control | A1 Exterminators Lynn MA | Ants, Termites ... - January 11th, 2019
- Rat Control - Western Exterminator - December 16th, 2018
- Commercial Buildings Exterminators - Homes Pest control ... - November 22nd, 2018
- Little Rascals Rodents - Rats in the Attic, Rat ... - November 19th, 2018
- Rat Exterminator - Rat Removal Service - Rat Pest Control - November 9th, 2018
- Rat Exterminators: How to Hire a Professional and NOT Get ... - September 5th, 2018
- Billy the Exterminator: Sugar Rat | A&E - YouTube - August 18th, 2018
- San Antonio Pest Control | Bed Bugs, Fleas, Rats ... - May 13th, 2018
- Pest Control Houma, LA Exterminator Terminix Pest ... - May 11th, 2018
- Insight Pest Control Ventura: Exterminator & Termite ... - April 20th, 2018
- We Kill Pest Control Hollywood is professional exterminator - April 1st, 2018
- Info Center: Learn about Rodents | Terminix - March 16th, 2018
- DIY Rat Extermination RATCONTROLTRICKS.COM - December 22nd, 2017
- Pest Control NJ, Pest Control NYC, Bed Bug Exterminator NYC E - November 9th, 2017
- VIDEO: Berkeley neighborhood sees rise in rat infestations - KRON4.com - September 8th, 2017
- 'Ratpocalypse' Caused by Climate Change Could Increase Spread of Disease - Healthline - September 8th, 2017
- Public health asked to find rat problem solutions - St. Catharines Standard - September 7th, 2017
- Rats vs. Mice | Western Exterminator - September 6th, 2017
- Rodents take over home while family flees wildfires - CBC.ca - September 2nd, 2017
- Waldwick Residents In Search Of Solution For Sudden Surge In Rat Sightings - CBS New York - September 2nd, 2017
- Rat reports across Wichita are 'highly unusual,' biologist says - Wichita Eagle - September 2nd, 2017
- 'Rat Boom' Besieges NJ Town - NBC 10 Philadelphia - September 2nd, 2017
- Oh, rats! Waldwick residents say rodents have overtaken neighborhood - NorthJersey.com - August 28th, 2017
- Forced out by rats - Burnaby Now - August 24th, 2017
- Township Addresses Rodent Issue in Putnam Manor Area After ... - TAPinto.net - August 23rd, 2017
- Rats and kitchen filth are fodder for naming and shaming restaurants - Cadtle Hills News - August 20th, 2017
- Bircher Exterminating | Phoenix Exterminator | HOA ... - August 11th, 2017
- Urban rodentologist says concerted effort will be needed to stop rats - The Westerly Sun - August 11th, 2017
- 15 recognized by Rochester city manager - News - fosters.com ... - Foster's Daily Democrat - July 31st, 2017
- Rats taking over Brooklyn grandmother's home - New York's PIX11 / WPIX-TV - July 13th, 2017
- Pawcatuck rat problem gets worse - The Westerly Sun - July 13th, 2017
- Rats worry Sun Cities homeowners - YourWestValley.com - July 5th, 2017
- Rats, Mad Mex in University City is shut down again - Billy Penn - July 1st, 2017
- Progress seen in Stonington rat-removal efforts in Millan Terrace area - The Westerly Sun - June 28th, 2017
- Justice Woman Arrested For Bringing Rat Remains Into Village Board Meeting: VIDEO - Patch.com - June 27th, 2017
- Progress seen in rat removal - The Westerly Sun - June 25th, 2017
- How To Get Rid of Rats in the Attic | Western Exterminator - June 18th, 2017
- County health department battles growing rat population - wivb.com - June 17th, 2017
- Rat Burrows Bulldozed and Paved Over Outside Roosevelt Island School - DNAinfo - June 13th, 2017
- Stonington offers help to neighbors battling rat infestation | The ... - The Westerly Sun - June 10th, 2017
- Ledge Light addressing rat infestation in Pawcatuck neighborhood - theday.com (subscription) - June 8th, 2017
- Sewer rats create nightmare for Minnesota homeowner - KPNX 12 News TV - June 6th, 2017
- Cinemadope: City Mouse - Valley Advocate - June 6th, 2017
- Swarms Of Rats Seen Around 2 Schools On Roosevelt Island - CBS New York - June 6th, 2017
- St. Paul sewer rats create nightmare for homeowner | KARE11.com - KARE - June 6th, 2017
- Rats Run Amok Outside Roosevelt Island School - DNAinfo - June 4th, 2017
- From fixing a Bronx man's wheelchair to helping a disabled Harlem woman move Monica is making it happen - New York's PIX11 / WPIX-TV - May 27th, 2017
- Ausable pledges money for rat remediation - Sun Community News - May 16th, 2017
- Rat complaint numbers 'nominal,' says city staff - Yahoo News Canada - Yahoo News Canada (blog) - May 13th, 2017
- Rat complaint numbers 'nominal,' says city staff - CBC.ca - May 12th, 2017
- Chickens, composting and uninvited guests - The Register-Guard - May 8th, 2017
- Bawdy rat races return to Northern Kentucky - WCPO Cincinnati, OH - WCPO - May 6th, 2017
- Quincy not plagued by rats like previous 2 years - The Patriot Ledger - May 6th, 2017
- Mighty Rats Mice Exterminator To Seattle Home and Commercial Businesses Buildings - Digital Journal - May 3rd, 2017
- Got Rodents? Mice, Rats Exterminator: Canberra Pest Control - April 30th, 2017
- Birds and the bees can bring misery to Ahwatukee - Ahwatukee Foothills News - April 30th, 2017
- Seattle's rat psychologist will chase rodents away - MyNorthwest.com - April 20th, 2017
- Seattle king county pest control companies reveal Abandoned ... - Press Release Rocket - April 5th, 2017
- Rats have run of Brooklyn neighborhood - Fox5NY - April 5th, 2017
- Rat infestation prompts relocation of Riverside... - www.ottawacommunitynews.com/ - April 3rd, 2017
- Rodent infestation forces evacuation of Riverside South fire station ... - CBC.ca - April 3rd, 2017
- Restaurant closures reveal Charleston's hidden pests - ABC NEWS 4 - March 30th, 2017
- BOE says Sandy Creek rats are under control - Fayette Newspapers - March 30th, 2017
- Rats and kitchen filth are fodder for naming and shaming restaurants - Ballarat Courier - March 29th, 2017
- Students complain of rat infestation in high school - WSB Radio - March 28th, 2017
- Students say school infested with rats | WSB-TV - WSB Atlanta - March 24th, 2017
- Rat infestation at Orlando senior facility not being fixed, residents say - WFTV Orlando - March 23rd, 2017
- Township continues to monitor rodents, vermin in neighborhoods | C ... - C&G Newspapers - March 16th, 2017
- Documentary 'Rat Film' explores Baltimore's rodent problem and much more - Baltimore Sun - March 16th, 2017
- The director of this movie about rats has some novel ideas about Trump and filmmaking - Los Angeles Times - March 13th, 2017
- Rats causing trouble throughout the region - Times Colonist - March 11th, 2017
- Bill requires properties to be rat-free before demolition in Baltimore County - WBAL Baltimore - March 10th, 2017
- After Deadly Outbreak, I-Team Reveals New York City's Most Rat-Infested Neighborhoods - NBC New York - March 8th, 2017