Rats are known to mess with peoples internal home affairs since the dawn of times. There is a common saying which goes Where humans live, the rat lives; what humans eat, the rat eats.So if you are a home owner, check this! The apparently slim chance that you will have to deal with these rodents in the near future is constantly growing, especially if you dont have a clue how to repel them from your property (90% simply dont, and end up being forced to hire professional rat exterminators, which is not a bad thing, but requires more spending).
DISCLAIMER: There are many websites out there (mostly ran by wildlife removal companies) which claim none of the do it yourself rat eradication solutions that we are going to talk in this article actually work. The thing is, most of these companies just want to sell you their pest control services. They wouldnt approve of a DYI rat control method even if it worked like charm. So it is up to you to decide which way to go, either learn to handle a rat problem yourself or pay a professional company with years of experience to do it. Both work well in my opinion, when done right.
If you decide to do it on your own, you have to stay informed and always be ready to face these creatures!Thats why we created RatControlTips.com,to help beginners like YOU find a reliable, fast and easy solution to their rat problems, in just a few clicks of a rat mouse 😉
Alright, so in case you dont have the money to hire a professional rat exterminator, let the experts from your local pest control company do the job, or you simply want to save cash and learn the art of getting rid of these pesky rodents on your own, a.k.a do it yourself rat control, then here are your options: you can either repel/deter, trap or poison them. Shooting rats is probably not very safe because they are fast and, by the way, ammunition costs a lot of money these days. Just kidding 😉
Its always a much better option to keep rats away from your property, not reach the point when your house is already infested and avoid searching for options to exterminate them afterwards. Well talk about how to repel rats, efficiently, for good; and avoid bloody killing them, whenever possible.
Well also check the natural rat repellents first. These methods are more or less humane, but one thing for sure, if you take action, you will get rid of the rat problem, one way or another.
Note that each method was carefully analyzed, therefore providing both PROS & CONS on why it should or should NOT be used to get rid of rats. Please click on the above links to read about each individual diy rat control technique.
Most rat poisons, also known as rodenticides by their scientific name, are made from chemicals, with the sole purpose of killing rodents. Using rat poison to repel rats still continues to be a very controversial solution, due to its harmful effects on the surrounding environment, house pets and even humans. There have been multiple reports of fatal accidents, due to cats, dogs and other pets being in close proximity to rodenticides.
Sure, but its extremely difficult due to their nature of being scavengers. These rodents eat tiny bits from every single piece of food they find, then simply wait or move to something else. If they dont get sick, they would probably return and consume the remains.
Some professionals make use of rodenticides when dealing with commercial pest control, especially on larger open-air properties and in buildings where no humans live.
If you are a beginner and dont have any experience getting rid of rodents using rat poison, I highly recommend that you stay away from any type of rodenticides, or at least consult with a pest control expert before attempting to.
Fore more information on this subject, please read our in-depth article on rat poison.
Traps have been used to catch and kill rats for a long, long time. These devices have proven to be one of the most efficient ways to deal with all kinds of pest rodents, big or small. Both home-owners and professional pest control companies make use of them nowadays.
The main problem with using rat traps is rodents suspicion towards new objects, thats why usually only young, totally inexperienced rats get caught. Rodents that manage to survive get more experienced and you will find it extremely difficult to kill them with such devices later down the road. Everything that doesnt kill you only makes you stronger, they say. Well, believe it or not, this applies to everything in this universe, including rats 😉
All rat traps are divided into two main categories: lethal and non-lethal. People who dont like blood, killing things and creatures, even if these are considered harmful pest, usually tend to stay away from lethal methods and prefer more humane ones.
Here are a few types of rat traps that you should be aware of: live cage traps, glue traps, electronic traps, standard slap-traps.
Since rat traps are one of the most efficient ways to get rid of these pesky inhabitants of your house, there is much more to be said, written and analyzed on this topic, so we invite you to read our in-depth article on rat traps.
3000 words later, we are happy to have shed a little bit of light in your search for the most popular do it yourself (DIY) rat control methods. No matter what solution you choose to repel rats away, always remember to keep your house clean and do everything possible to prevent these rodents from finding it interesting to nest and breed on your property.
No matter how much we invest in various rat repellents, the best way to stop them is to physically block their access to whatever spot they want to reach. But this is costly, overwhelming and quite difficult, especially taking into consideration we are not officially at war (with rats), right now (or are we?) you may take it easy and either try either a liquid repellent, buy several standard traps from Victor(R) or maybe call your local pest control company for assistance.
At the end of the day, its doesnt really matter what option you choose, staying informed is always a must if you want to be able to get rid of these gnawing creatures, no matter what types of rats you are dealing with.
This is why we created RatControlTips.com 😉
- Insight Pest Control Ventura: Exterminator & Termite ... - April 20th, 2018
- We Kill Pest Control Hollywood is professional exterminator - April 1st, 2018
- Info Center: Learn about Rodents | Terminix - March 16th, 2018
- Pest Control NJ, Pest Control NYC, Bed Bug Exterminator NYC E - November 9th, 2017
- VIDEO: Berkeley neighborhood sees rise in rat infestations - KRON4.com - September 8th, 2017
- 'Ratpocalypse' Caused by Climate Change Could Increase Spread of Disease - Healthline - September 8th, 2017
- Public health asked to find rat problem solutions - St. Catharines Standard - September 7th, 2017
- Rats vs. Mice | Western Exterminator - September 6th, 2017
- Rodents take over home while family flees wildfires - CBC.ca - September 2nd, 2017
- Waldwick Residents In Search Of Solution For Sudden Surge In Rat Sightings - CBS New York - September 2nd, 2017
- Rat reports across Wichita are 'highly unusual,' biologist says - Wichita Eagle - September 2nd, 2017
- 'Rat Boom' Besieges NJ Town - NBC 10 Philadelphia - September 2nd, 2017
- Oh, rats! Waldwick residents say rodents have overtaken neighborhood - NorthJersey.com - August 28th, 2017
- Forced out by rats - Burnaby Now - August 24th, 2017
- Township Addresses Rodent Issue in Putnam Manor Area After ... - TAPinto.net - August 23rd, 2017
- Modesto tenants living in condemned building sue landlord - Modesto Bee - August 22nd, 2017
- Rats and kitchen filth are fodder for naming and shaming restaurants - Cadtle Hills News - August 20th, 2017
- Bircher Exterminating | Phoenix Exterminator | HOA ... - August 11th, 2017
- Urban rodentologist says concerted effort will be needed to stop rats - The Westerly Sun - August 11th, 2017
- 15 recognized by Rochester city manager - News - fosters.com ... - Foster's Daily Democrat - July 31st, 2017
- Rats taking over Brooklyn grandmother's home - New York's PIX11 / WPIX-TV - July 13th, 2017
- Pawcatuck rat problem gets worse - The Westerly Sun - July 13th, 2017
- Rats worry Sun Cities homeowners - YourWestValley.com - July 5th, 2017
- Rats, Mad Mex in University City is shut down again - Billy Penn - July 1st, 2017
- Progress seen in Stonington rat-removal efforts in Millan Terrace area - The Westerly Sun - June 28th, 2017
- Justice Woman Arrested For Bringing Rat Remains Into Village Board Meeting: VIDEO - Patch.com - June 27th, 2017
- Progress seen in rat removal - The Westerly Sun - June 25th, 2017
- How To Get Rid of Rats in the Attic | Western Exterminator - June 18th, 2017
- County health department battles growing rat population - wivb.com - June 17th, 2017
- Rat Burrows Bulldozed and Paved Over Outside Roosevelt Island School - DNAinfo - June 13th, 2017
- Stonington offers help to neighbors battling rat infestation | The ... - The Westerly Sun - June 10th, 2017
- Ledge Light addressing rat infestation in Pawcatuck neighborhood - theday.com (subscription) - June 8th, 2017
- Sewer rats create nightmare for Minnesota homeowner - KPNX 12 News TV - June 6th, 2017
- Cinemadope: City Mouse - Valley Advocate - June 6th, 2017
- Swarms Of Rats Seen Around 2 Schools On Roosevelt Island - CBS New York - June 6th, 2017
- St. Paul sewer rats create nightmare for homeowner | KARE11.com - KARE - June 6th, 2017
- Rats Run Amok Outside Roosevelt Island School - DNAinfo - June 4th, 2017
- From fixing a Bronx man's wheelchair to helping a disabled Harlem woman move Monica is making it happen - New York's PIX11 / WPIX-TV - May 27th, 2017
- Ausable pledges money for rat remediation - Sun Community News - May 16th, 2017
- Rat complaint numbers 'nominal,' says city staff - Yahoo News Canada - Yahoo News Canada (blog) - May 13th, 2017
- Rat complaint numbers 'nominal,' says city staff - CBC.ca - May 12th, 2017
- Chickens, composting and uninvited guests - The Register-Guard - May 8th, 2017
- Bawdy rat races return to Northern Kentucky - WCPO Cincinnati, OH - WCPO - May 6th, 2017
- Quincy not plagued by rats like previous 2 years - The Patriot Ledger - May 6th, 2017
- Mighty Rats Mice Exterminator To Seattle Home and Commercial Businesses Buildings - Digital Journal - May 3rd, 2017
- Got Rodents? Mice, Rats Exterminator: Canberra Pest Control - April 30th, 2017
- Birds and the bees can bring misery to Ahwatukee - Ahwatukee Foothills News - April 30th, 2017
- Seattle's rat psychologist will chase rodents away - MyNorthwest.com - April 20th, 2017
- Seattle king county pest control companies reveal Abandoned ... - Press Release Rocket - April 5th, 2017
- Rats have run of Brooklyn neighborhood - Fox5NY - April 5th, 2017
- Rat infestation prompts relocation of Riverside... - www.ottawacommunitynews.com/ - April 3rd, 2017
- Rodent infestation forces evacuation of Riverside South fire station ... - CBC.ca - April 3rd, 2017
- Restaurant closures reveal Charleston's hidden pests - ABC NEWS 4 - March 30th, 2017
- BOE says Sandy Creek rats are under control - Fayette Newspapers - March 30th, 2017
- Rats and kitchen filth are fodder for naming and shaming restaurants - Ballarat Courier - March 29th, 2017
- Students complain of rat infestation in high school - WSB Radio - March 28th, 2017
- Students say school infested with rats | WSB-TV - WSB Atlanta - March 24th, 2017
- Rat infestation at Orlando senior facility not being fixed, residents say - WFTV Orlando - March 23rd, 2017
- Township continues to monitor rodents, vermin in neighborhoods | C ... - C&G Newspapers - March 16th, 2017
- Documentary 'Rat Film' explores Baltimore's rodent problem and much more - Baltimore Sun - March 16th, 2017
- The director of this movie about rats has some novel ideas about Trump and filmmaking - Los Angeles Times - March 13th, 2017
- Rats causing trouble throughout the region - Times Colonist - March 11th, 2017
- Bill requires properties to be rat-free before demolition in Baltimore County - WBAL Baltimore - March 10th, 2017
- After Deadly Outbreak, I-Team Reveals New York City's Most Rat-Infested Neighborhoods - NBC New York - March 8th, 2017
- Tenants file class action lawsuit against the Breakers Resort over rat infestation, other issues - The Denver Channel - February 24th, 2017
- Health Dept. shuts down Denison restaurant - KXII-TV - February 21st, 2017
- College housemates hatch ingenious plan to get rid of a rat - Pickle - February 20th, 2017
- Rat Exterminator Services | Western Exterminator - February 19th, 2017
- 1 dead, 2 sickened by bacterial infection caused by rat urine in the Bronx - New York's PIX11 / WPIX-TV - February 17th, 2017
- These College Roommates Who Savagely Kicked A Rat Out Of Their House Are Instant Icons - BuzzFeed News - February 17th, 2017
- Should the BC government pay to rid the province of rats? - Globalnews.ca - February 16th, 2017
- Littleton reports increased rat problem | 9news.com - 9NEWS.com - February 12th, 2017
- Best Exterminating : Termite & Pest Control - Exterminator ... - February 11th, 2017
- Ayer's McNiff fighting animal-cruelty charges - Lowell Sun Online - Lowell Sun - February 11th, 2017
- VIDEO: Jared Kushner Williamsburg Apartment Rat 'Terrorizes' Baby ... - Patch.com - February 10th, 2017
- Eastbourne mother's horror at rat infestation in kitchen - Eastbourne Herald - February 10th, 2017
- Rat problem rising across NS - TheChronicleHerald.ca - February 7th, 2017
- Restaurants in Downtown Seattle overrun by Rats, authorities ... - Digital Journal - February 7th, 2017
- Rat complaints spike in Kansas City - KSHB - February 7th, 2017
- Oh, Rats! Are rodents on the rise in Canada? | CTV News - CTV News - February 7th, 2017