Theres a reason my wife and I bought new construction when it came time to plunk down thousands on a home. We had already lived the nightmare of an antique house, where mice and other rodents could come and go as they pleased.
My dad used to joke that our cat held the flashlight for the parade of mice that enjoyed our cabinet stock.
We were newly married, and the scurrying of mice across the floor at night tested those vows early like 3 am early.
So we were none too pleased when a do-it-yourself retailer that shall not be named (Lets build something together) recently delivered tiny varmints with our new patio furniture.
It was a rainy afternoon when the package arrived. We decided to have the delivery guys bring it inside, where it would be unwrapped and the massive cardboard box yanked apart for that weeks recycling.
As it was unpacked, the critters darted away from the box. Never saw anything, but there was plenty of evidence of what was inside mouse droppings!
Fast-forward to the early morning hours, and we heard a yell from our teenage son in the downstairs bathroom. Its not unusual for him to be awake at 2 or 3 am, but aroused by his plaintive wail, we went to see what was up.
The mouse, he said. It just ran across the floor and under the washer.
We pulled the washer and dryer out from beneath the laundry counter, to no avail. Convinced it had escaped to parts unknown, we settled back into bed.
Notice, I didnt say to sleep.
Later that morning, our son came into our bedroom and announced a mouse had just leaped from his bureau onto his bedroom floor.
The next morning, armed with glue traps and peanut butter, we set out to catch Sir Squeaky.
No luck, though we were finding evidence of him throughout the house, mostly in our sons bedroom. (Our teenage daughter was away on a school trip. A blessing at a troubled time.)
Perplexed and stumped by our inability to catch the varmint (except on camera my son got a Snapchat video), we called a reputable exterminator. Walter came to our house, inspected the usual haunts, and declared our house tight and impossible for most rodents to enter. He chuckled when we told him the mice escaped from a box delivered to the house, and confirmed our hunch that the varmints were traveling the walls via our forced hot water heating system.
He gave us some bigger glue traps, some helpful tips (peanut butter), and even offered to let us call him for reassurance. I wouldnt even know how to charge you, he said. We sell programs. You dont have a mouse problem, you have a (name of retailer that shall not be named) problem.
We appreciated the honesty and integrity, but we had mice to catch, and a daughter nearing the end of her sojourn.
My daughter indeed returned home, and Sir Squeaky was still on the prowl. Sadly, she awoke on her first morning home to find evidence similar to what the three bears found in those stories we read to her so long ago. Someone had been sleeping in her bed.
Sir Squeaky even had the audacity to soil a Taylor Swift spirit jersey. Intolerable.
By now, our house was in full chaos mode. We were all at wits end.
And, then, it happened.
Sir Squeaky finally got stuck, literally, in the same place our son had originally spotted him, in the downstairs bathroom in front of our washing machine.
I wont share the details of how Sir Squeaky was put out of our misery, except to say it was quick.
The end, right?
Hours later we found more evidence of a mouse. We convinced ourselves that the droppings were moved on a shoe or a backpack.
Later we found even more evidence, that wasnt so easily dismissed.
Then, a day later, I saw him.
I was sipping my morning coffee when he poked his nose out from under a blanket chest in our bedroom. He bolted, and I was jolted into action by the confirmation that we still had a mouse in the house.
For two solid weeks, the mouse, whom I nicknamed Hairy Potter, kept us at bay. He climbed in backpacks to munch on half-eaten snacks, he gnawed holes into water bottles for a drink, and he even gobbled up some Post-It notes. He seemed to know that he needed to avoid the glue traps that sprouted up across the house.
As smart as he seemed, his last meal would be a half-dozen Dum-Dum lollipops.
That Sunday night, after some fresh glue traps were loaded with bait, my daughter saw Hairy Potter for the first time. Her screams of Mouse! Mouse! startled me from a doze on the couch, and we sprung into action. Using the light from a cell phone, we forced Hairy from behind the hutch where he sought refuge, and he was pulled onto the sticky pad like a Death Eater drawing life out of an unsuspecting wizard. My wife scooped him into a Ziploc bag, and my son put him quickly and decisively out of his sticky misery.
And in my best Lord Voldemort voice, I exclaimed, Hairy Potter is dead!
The end. We hope.
See the original post here:
Essay: A sticky situation – Martha’s Vineyard Times
- Mouse Control: Appearance, Signs & Removal of Mice - April 12th, 2019
- How Much Is An Exterminator For Mice? (A Quick Guide ... - April 5th, 2019
- 2019 Mouse Exterminator Cost (Average) - PestWiki - March 18th, 2019
- Port St Lucie and Jupiter Florida Pest Control and Bug ... - March 7th, 2019
- Local Pest Control Phoenix, AZ | Western Exterminator - February 11th, 2019
- How to Get Rid of Mice: The Ultimate Guide for Mice ... - October 31st, 2018
- 2018 Rat, Mice & Raccoon Removal Cost | Extermination Prices - September 8th, 2018
- Pest Force - Pest Control and Pest Exterminator Edmonton - June 15th, 2018
- mouse exterminators - Mice Riddance - April 1st, 2018
- Rodent Control, Mice Exterminator | Connors Pest Control - March 7th, 2018
- Everett, WA Exterminator, Pest Control & Termite Inspector - January 26th, 2018
- Knight Pest Control - Exterminator Bedbug Flea Cockroach ... - January 7th, 2018
- Elite Pest Control | Exterminator Minneapolis MN - December 8th, 2017
- Reliance Pest - Pest, Termite & Bedbug Exterminator ... - November 8th, 2017
- Mice & Rat Exterminator - F&W Pest Control - Massachusetts - October 20th, 2017
- Mouse Control Exterminator Services | Western Exterminator - October 18th, 2017
- Tarantula Scares Family in Second Sighting in Days Across San Diego - NBC Southern California - August 4th, 2017
- 22-year-old Contracted The Often Fatal Hantavirus At State Park - Simplemost - August 1st, 2017
- NEW: Rats and restaurants are an icky and dangerous combination - MyPalmBeachPost - July 7th, 2017
- Can you get rid of home pests with essential oils? - GoErie.com - June 25th, 2017
- Ask Angie's List: Can you get rid of home pests with essential oils? - Fredericksburg.com - June 24th, 2017
- Better Business Bureau: Start With Trust - Better Business Bureau - June 22nd, 2017
- Exterminator working to eliminate Wilmington mice during summer - New Castle News - June 22nd, 2017
- Oak Lawn Goes On Rat Patrol - Patch.com - June 21st, 2017
- At Home: Use essential oils to get rid of home pests - Topeka Capital Journal - June 17th, 2017
- After the flooding, Pierrefonds residents coping with unwanted rodent house guests - CBC.ca - June 14th, 2017
- Need to get rid of tobacco beetles? Here's how - Rochester Democrat and Chronicle - June 13th, 2017
- Essential Oils Can Repel Mice, Spiders - Valley News - June 11th, 2017
- Can you get rid of home pests with essential oils? | Life ... - South Bend Tribune - June 10th, 2017
- 'Dance Moms' former coach Abby Lee Miller faces more trouble - Blasting News - June 3rd, 2017
- Rodents take over Isa - The North West Star - May 25th, 2017
- Code enforcement complaints fines for Commercial Building Rat ... - Digital Journal - May 23rd, 2017
- County Health Inspector to Visit Robert Hunter School; District Bars Reporter From Attending - TAPinto.net - May 16th, 2017
- Mouse Control - Orkin.com - May 15th, 2017
- Battling Mice at Robert Hunter School - TAPinto.net - May 12th, 2017
- PRIME TIME: Critters north country folk need not worry about - Bemidji Pioneer - May 12th, 2017
- Carpenter Ants Infiltrating Greater Seattle Area Homes and commercial business buildings - MENAFN.COM - May 10th, 2017
- Bigfoot Pest Control Services Area Expands To Chicago and Surroundings - Digital Journal - May 8th, 2017
- Spring Home and Garden: Technician offers advice on pest control - Pamplin Media Group - April 27th, 2017
- Rodent Control: Get Rid of Rats and Mice - Orkin - April 13th, 2017
- Seattle king county pest control companies reveal Abandoned buildings contribute to the rise in rats mice infestation - MENAFN.COM - April 6th, 2017
- Seattle king county pest control companies reveal Abandoned ... - MilTech - April 5th, 2017
- MPI changes rodent claim policy, expects to save millions - CTV News - March 23rd, 2017
- Dollar General closes after inspectors report live rodents, insects found in store - WLWT Cincinnati - March 21st, 2017
- Seattle Airport Hangar needs a Commercial Rat Pest Control ... - MilTech - March 19th, 2017
- Of mice and murder, and Ronald Reagan - Salon - March 19th, 2017
- Seattle Airport Hangar needs a Commercial Rat Pest Control. - MENAFN.COM - March 18th, 2017
- Seattle Airport Hangar needs a Commercial Rat Pest Control. - Digital Journal - March 17th, 2017
- Rodent infestations on rise across Preston - Lancashire Evening Post - March 16th, 2017
- Mouse - Wikipedia - March 7th, 2017
- Napa Wildlife Rescue, Gasser Foundation team up to use owls, not ... - Napa Valley Register - March 2nd, 2017
- Napa Wildlife Rescue, Gasser Foundation team up to use owls, not poison, to kill rats - Napa Valley Register - February 28th, 2017
- How to get rid of mice - Popular Science - February 24th, 2017
- Napa Wildlife Rescue, Gasser Foundation team up to help environment - Napa Valley Register - February 23rd, 2017
- Have as much information as possible if pet exposed to poison - Charleston Post Courier - February 19th, 2017
- Best PC controller | PCGamesN - PCGamesN - February 16th, 2017
- LETTER: Bin men's food waste collection technique is a shambles - Stroud News and Journal - February 14th, 2017
- Do Away With the Pests With Exterminator in Edmond - Press ... - Digital Journal - February 9th, 2017
- Do Away With the Pests With Exterminator in Edmond - Military Technologies - February 9th, 2017
- Restaurants in Downtown Seattle overrun by Rats, authorities ... - Satellite PR News (press release) - February 7th, 2017
- How to Get Rid of Mice, Mouse Control - Do-It-Yourself ... - January 27th, 2017
- Silver Spring Mice Exterminator - Mouse Rat Rodent ... - November 24th, 2016
- How Much Does it Cost to Get Rid of Mice - KompareIt - October 31st, 2016
- How Long Do Mice Live ? - Western Exterminator - September 22nd, 2016
- Easy Guide to Hire a Mouse Exterminator that gets Results - October 12th, 2015
- Billy the Exterminator Episode Guide - Season 1 - A&E - aetv - October 12th, 2015
- Mouse Removal in Massachusetts - Mouse Pest Control ... - September 30th, 2015
- Metro Pest Control - September 25th, 2015
- How to Get Rid Of Mice :: pest-control-products.net - August 28th, 2015
- How to Get Rid of Mice - Mouse Control - Mouse Traps - July 31st, 2015
- Prevention and control of house mice, Mus musculus - July 4th, 2015
- Mice - Pest Control Canada - July 4th, 2015
- House Mouse Prevention and Control - July 4th, 2015
- Mouse Poison & Mouse Bait - Do My Own Pest Control - July 4th, 2015
- Mouse Control Services | Rentokil - July 4th, 2015
- Rodent Control: Get Rid of Rats and Mice - Orkin.com - July 2nd, 2015
- How to Get Rid of Mice, Mouse Control - July 2nd, 2015
- Is Tomcat Mouse Poison Worth A Darn? - Pest Control - DIY ... - June 29th, 2015
- The Pest Advice: Where Do Rats and Mice Go to Die? - June 29th, 2015
- Mouse (computing) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - June 26th, 2015