Sometimes, the most natural methods work best. You can get rid of mice using a reliable old snap-trap, and nothing takes out spiders like a rolled-up newspaper. But if you want to get rid of spiders and mice with minimal force, essential oils may be the solution for you.
Peppermint oil pest control is an effective means of repelling spiders and mice. Spiders smell through their legs, and so theyre very sensitive to oils on the surface. Mice rely on their sense of smell, so they tend to be turned away from distinct essential oil odors. Mice tend to follow pheromone trails left by other mice, and peppermint oil confuses those senses.
As a bonus, essential oils are environmentally friendly and safe for your family and pets compared to toxic chemicals.
Preparing essential oils
You have three options for setting up essential oils to repel mice and spiders: sprinkling it directly, spraying it or soaking cotton balls.
If you know where pests are coming in, or have a suspicion such as crevices, cracks, windows and other hiding places you can apply a line of undiluted oil across that entrance point.
You also can create a diluted mix of water and a small amount of peppermint oil and spray it across a wider area. This is particularly useful if youre not sure where theyre getting in and want to cover an entire corner or window. You also can soak cotton balls in undiluted oil and place them near the entrances you want to block.
Peppermint is the most effective oil to repel spiders. Besides peppermint and spearmint, essential oils for spiders include citrus elements, such as orange, lemon and lime. Citronella, cedar wood, tea tree oil and lavender also can be effective.
However, consider whether you want to get rid of spiders at all. You obviously want venomous spiders to be far away, but in many cases, especially if theyre outside windows or doors, spiders are effective pest control.
There is no better natural insect exterminator than the spider, and no more potent bug repellent than a spiders web.
As with spiders, peppermint oil is an effective deterrent of mice, but you need to keep several drawbacks in mind. Essential oil is not a long-lasting product; it will need to be replaced every few days. And especially in the case of mice, you want to check those peppermint-soaked cotton balls every so often. Once the odor fades away, that cotton will make attractive nesting material for the mice.
You want to make sure you place the essential oils right where mice are entering, rather than where theyre already getting in.
Generally, you want to combine peppermint oil pest control with other measures. For mice, plugging up holes with steel wool tends to keep them out, since they have a hard time chewing through it.
Peppermint oil pest control may seem like a low-impact and simple approach, but it can be very effective. If you place the oils correctly, they should act as a virtual force field, telling pests in no uncertain terms to go the other way.
Continue reading here:
At Home: Use essential oils to get rid of home pests – Topeka Capital Journal
- Mouse Control: Appearance, Signs & Removal of Mice - April 12th, 2019
- How Much Is An Exterminator For Mice? (A Quick Guide ... - April 5th, 2019
- 2019 Mouse Exterminator Cost (Average) - PestWiki - March 18th, 2019
- Port St Lucie and Jupiter Florida Pest Control and Bug ... - March 7th, 2019
- Local Pest Control Phoenix, AZ | Western Exterminator - February 11th, 2019
- How to Get Rid of Mice: The Ultimate Guide for Mice ... - October 31st, 2018
- 2018 Rat, Mice & Raccoon Removal Cost | Extermination Prices - September 8th, 2018
- Pest Force - Pest Control and Pest Exterminator Edmonton - June 15th, 2018
- mouse exterminators - Mice Riddance - April 1st, 2018
- Rodent Control, Mice Exterminator | Connors Pest Control - March 7th, 2018
- Everett, WA Exterminator, Pest Control & Termite Inspector - January 26th, 2018
- Knight Pest Control - Exterminator Bedbug Flea Cockroach ... - January 7th, 2018
- Elite Pest Control | Exterminator Minneapolis MN - December 8th, 2017
- Reliance Pest - Pest, Termite & Bedbug Exterminator ... - November 8th, 2017
- Mice & Rat Exterminator - F&W Pest Control - Massachusetts - October 20th, 2017
- Mouse Control Exterminator Services | Western Exterminator - October 18th, 2017
- Tarantula Scares Family in Second Sighting in Days Across San Diego - NBC Southern California - August 4th, 2017
- 22-year-old Contracted The Often Fatal Hantavirus At State Park - Simplemost - August 1st, 2017
- NEW: Rats and restaurants are an icky and dangerous combination - MyPalmBeachPost - July 7th, 2017
- Can you get rid of home pests with essential oils? - GoErie.com - June 25th, 2017
- Ask Angie's List: Can you get rid of home pests with essential oils? - Fredericksburg.com - June 24th, 2017
- Better Business Bureau: Start With Trust - Better Business Bureau - June 22nd, 2017
- Exterminator working to eliminate Wilmington mice during summer - New Castle News - June 22nd, 2017
- Oak Lawn Goes On Rat Patrol - Patch.com - June 21st, 2017
- After the flooding, Pierrefonds residents coping with unwanted rodent house guests - CBC.ca - June 14th, 2017
- Need to get rid of tobacco beetles? Here's how - Rochester Democrat and Chronicle - June 13th, 2017
- Essential Oils Can Repel Mice, Spiders - Valley News - June 11th, 2017
- Can you get rid of home pests with essential oils? | Life ... - South Bend Tribune - June 10th, 2017
- 'Dance Moms' former coach Abby Lee Miller faces more trouble - Blasting News - June 3rd, 2017
- Rodents take over Isa - The North West Star - May 25th, 2017
- Code enforcement complaints fines for Commercial Building Rat ... - Digital Journal - May 23rd, 2017
- Essay: A sticky situation - Martha's Vineyard Times - May 17th, 2017
- County Health Inspector to Visit Robert Hunter School; District Bars Reporter From Attending - TAPinto.net - May 16th, 2017
- Mouse Control - Orkin.com - May 15th, 2017
- Battling Mice at Robert Hunter School - TAPinto.net - May 12th, 2017
- PRIME TIME: Critters north country folk need not worry about - Bemidji Pioneer - May 12th, 2017
- Carpenter Ants Infiltrating Greater Seattle Area Homes and commercial business buildings - MENAFN.COM - May 10th, 2017
- Bigfoot Pest Control Services Area Expands To Chicago and Surroundings - Digital Journal - May 8th, 2017
- Spring Home and Garden: Technician offers advice on pest control - Pamplin Media Group - April 27th, 2017
- Rodent Control: Get Rid of Rats and Mice - Orkin - April 13th, 2017
- Seattle king county pest control companies reveal Abandoned buildings contribute to the rise in rats mice infestation - MENAFN.COM - April 6th, 2017
- Seattle king county pest control companies reveal Abandoned ... - MilTech - April 5th, 2017
- MPI changes rodent claim policy, expects to save millions - CTV News - March 23rd, 2017
- Dollar General closes after inspectors report live rodents, insects found in store - WLWT Cincinnati - March 21st, 2017
- Seattle Airport Hangar needs a Commercial Rat Pest Control ... - MilTech - March 19th, 2017
- Of mice and murder, and Ronald Reagan - Salon - March 19th, 2017
- Seattle Airport Hangar needs a Commercial Rat Pest Control. - MENAFN.COM - March 18th, 2017
- Seattle Airport Hangar needs a Commercial Rat Pest Control. - Digital Journal - March 17th, 2017
- Rodent infestations on rise across Preston - Lancashire Evening Post - March 16th, 2017
- Mouse - Wikipedia - March 7th, 2017
- Napa Wildlife Rescue, Gasser Foundation team up to use owls, not ... - Napa Valley Register - March 2nd, 2017
- Napa Wildlife Rescue, Gasser Foundation team up to use owls, not poison, to kill rats - Napa Valley Register - February 28th, 2017
- How to get rid of mice - Popular Science - February 24th, 2017
- Napa Wildlife Rescue, Gasser Foundation team up to help environment - Napa Valley Register - February 23rd, 2017
- Have as much information as possible if pet exposed to poison - Charleston Post Courier - February 19th, 2017
- Best PC controller | PCGamesN - PCGamesN - February 16th, 2017
- LETTER: Bin men's food waste collection technique is a shambles - Stroud News and Journal - February 14th, 2017
- Do Away With the Pests With Exterminator in Edmond - Press ... - Digital Journal - February 9th, 2017
- Do Away With the Pests With Exterminator in Edmond - Military Technologies - February 9th, 2017
- Restaurants in Downtown Seattle overrun by Rats, authorities ... - Satellite PR News (press release) - February 7th, 2017
- How to Get Rid of Mice, Mouse Control - Do-It-Yourself ... - January 27th, 2017
- Silver Spring Mice Exterminator - Mouse Rat Rodent ... - November 24th, 2016
- How Much Does it Cost to Get Rid of Mice - KompareIt - October 31st, 2016
- How Long Do Mice Live ? - Western Exterminator - September 22nd, 2016
- Easy Guide to Hire a Mouse Exterminator that gets Results - October 12th, 2015
- Billy the Exterminator Episode Guide - Season 1 - A&E - aetv - October 12th, 2015
- Mouse Removal in Massachusetts - Mouse Pest Control ... - September 30th, 2015
- Metro Pest Control - September 25th, 2015
- How to Get Rid Of Mice :: pest-control-products.net - August 28th, 2015
- How to Get Rid of Mice - Mouse Control - Mouse Traps - July 31st, 2015
- Prevention and control of house mice, Mus musculus - July 4th, 2015
- Mice - Pest Control Canada - July 4th, 2015
- House Mouse Prevention and Control - July 4th, 2015
- Mouse Poison & Mouse Bait - Do My Own Pest Control - July 4th, 2015
- Mouse Control Services | Rentokil - July 4th, 2015
- Rodent Control: Get Rid of Rats and Mice - Orkin.com - July 2nd, 2015
- How to Get Rid of Mice, Mouse Control - July 2nd, 2015
- Is Tomcat Mouse Poison Worth A Darn? - Pest Control - DIY ... - June 29th, 2015
- The Pest Advice: Where Do Rats and Mice Go to Die? - June 29th, 2015
- Mouse (computing) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - June 26th, 2015