In this Article In this Article In this Article
Bedbugs are small, oval, brownish insects that live on the blood of animals or humans. Adult bedbugs have flat bodies about the size of an apple seed. After feeding, however, their bodies swell and are a reddish color.
Bedbugs do not fly, but they can move quickly over floors, walls, and ceilings. Female bedbugs may lay hundreds of eggs, each of which is about the size of a speck of dust, over a lifetime.
Immature bedbugs, called nymphs, shed their skins five times before reaching maturity and require a meal of blood before each shedding. Under favorable conditions the bugs can develop fully in as little as a month and produce three or more generations per year.
Although they are a nuisance, they are not thought to transmit diseases.
Bedbugs may enter your home undetected through luggage, clothing, used beds and couches, and other items. Their flattened bodies make it possible for them to fit into tiny spaces, about the width of a credit card. Bedbugs do not have nests like ants or bees, but tend to live in groups in hiding places. Their initial hiding places are typically in mattresses, box springs, bed frames, and headboards where they have easy access to people to bite in the night.
Over time, however, they may scatter through the bedroom, moving into any crevice or protected location. They may also spread to nearby rooms or apartments.
Because bedbugs live solely on blood, having them in your home is not a sign of dirtiness. You are as likely to find them in immaculate homes and hotel rooms as in filthy ones.
Bedbugs are active mainly at night and usually bite people while they are sleeping. They feed by piercing the skin and withdrawing blood through an elongated beak. The bugs feed from three to 10 minutes to become engorged and then crawl away unnoticed.
Most bedbug bites are painless at first, but later turn into itchy welts. Unlike flea bites that are mainly around the ankles, bedbug bites are on any area of skin exposed while sleeping. Also, the bites do not have a red spot in the center like flea bites do.
People who don’t realize they have a bedbug infestation may attribute the itching and welts to other causes, such as mosquitoes. To confirm bedbug bites, you must find and identify the bugs themselves.
If you wake up with itchy areas you didn’t have when you went to sleep, you may have bedbugs, particularly if you got a used bed or other used furniture around the time the bites started. Other signs that you have bedbugs include:
If you suspect an infestation, remove all bedding and check it carefully for signs of the bugs or their excrement. Remove the dust cover over the bottom of the box springs and examine the seams in the wood framing. Peel back the fabric where it is stapled to the wood frame.
Also, check the area around the bed, including inside books, telephones or radios, the edge of the carpet, and even in electrical outlets. Check your closet, because bedbugs can attach to clothing. If you are uncertain about signs of bedbugs, call an exterminator, who will know what to look for.
If you find signs of infestation, begin steps to get rid of the bugs and prevent their return.
Getting rid of bedbugs begins with cleaning up the places where bedbugs live. This should include the following:
If your mattress is infested, you may want to get rid of it and get a new one, but take care to rid the rest of your home of bedbugs or they will infest your new mattress.
While cleaning up infested areas will be helpful in controlling bedbugs, getting rid of them usually requires chemical treatments. Because treating your bed and bedroom with insecticides can be harmful, it is important to use products that can be used safely in bedrooms. Do not treat mattresses and bedding unless the label specifically says you can use them on bedding.
Generally it is safest and most effective to hire an experienced pest control professional for bedbug extermination.
University of Kentucky College of Agriculture: “Bed Bugs.”
Ohio State University Extension Fact Sheet: “Bed Bugs.”
The New York City Department of Heath and Mental Hygiene: “Stop Bed Bugs Safely.”
University of Nebraska–Lincoln Extension Lancaster County: “Managing Bed Bugs.”
View original post here:
Bed Bugs: How to Identify Bedbugs and How to Get … – WebMD
- Bed Bug Exterminator NYC Testimonial - Watch Now - Bed Bug Exterminator NYC - September 27th, 2018
- Bed Bugs Exterminator Crew | Call 888-329-7794 - September 8th, 2018
- 2018 Average Bed Bug Exterminator Cost (with Price Factors) - July 6th, 2018
- Bed bug control techniques - Wikipedia - May 19th, 2018
- Heat Pro | Denver, Co Bed Bug Exterminator, Heat Treatment ... - May 2nd, 2018
- Pest Control | Bed Bug Exterminator Iowa City, Cedar ... - April 1st, 2018
- Bed Bug Facts & Pest Information: How Do You Get Bed Bugs? - March 22nd, 2018
- Bed Bug Extermination Cost: Inspection and Treatment Costs - March 18th, 2018
- Pest Control Exterminators Bed Bugs Roaches Termites - December 30th, 2017
- Bed Bug Exterminator Indianapolis - The Bed Bug Co. - December 27th, 2017
- The Best Bed Bugs Exterminator in Queens, NY - November 25th, 2017
- Bed bugs, drug paraphernalia greet 6th graders at Estes Park YMCA - The Denver Channel - September 2nd, 2017
- Guaranteed Bed Bug Exterminator in Brooklyn, NYC ... - September 2nd, 2017
- College students told to continue living in apartment with bedbugs - WRAL.com - September 1st, 2017
- Royster deals with found bed bug - Chanute Tribune - September 1st, 2017
- One couple's bedbug saga: exactly what a nightmare would be - San Francisco Chronicle - September 1st, 2017
- Increase in bed bug problems - The News Center - August 28th, 2017
- The most bed bug-infested cities in the US named - Inquirer.net - August 28th, 2017
- New California law aims to stop spread of bedbugs - San Francisco ... - San Francisco Chronicle - August 27th, 2017
- Cleveland Tops Terminix's Newest 'Top 20 Bed Bug Cities' List - PCT Magazine - August 26th, 2017
- Confirmed case of bed bugs at Parma Senior High School - News 5 ... - News 5 Cleveland - August 25th, 2017
- Cleveland tenants fight bed bug infestation, city ranked in top 15 for bed bug issues - News 5 Cleveland - August 24th, 2017
- An Invention Eliminates Bed Bug Bites even the Insects Migrate among Apartments - Digital Journal - August 23rd, 2017
- Reader takes issue with local exterminator - Circleville Herald - August 23rd, 2017
- Put Your Foot Down With Toronto Roach Removal - TG Daily (blog) - August 21st, 2017
- Bed bugs make unwelcome return to Southern California - The San Gabriel Valley Tribune - August 17th, 2017
- EZ Bed Bug Exterminator in Cincinnati Vows to End Bugs with New Service - Digital Journal - August 12th, 2017
- Aurora man says new mattress was delivered with bed bugs - The Denver Channel - August 12th, 2017
- EZ Bed Bug Exterminator in Cincinnati Vows to End Bugs with New Service - Press Release Rocket (press release) - August 12th, 2017
- Bed bugs that proliferate - The Sherbrooke Times - August 9th, 2017
- Bed Bugs Exterminator & Bed Bugs ... - - RTC Pest Control - August 9th, 2017
- 'Boy, they itch like crazy': Bedbugs bother Whitehorse visitors and residents - CBC.ca - August 7th, 2017
- Bed bugs pose particularly difficult problem in Central Illinois - Illinois News Network - July 31st, 2017
- Bedbugs make an unwelcome comeback in Southern California - Press-Enterprise - July 31st, 2017
- Apartment bed bug infestation persists after treatments - FOX31 Denver - July 31st, 2017
- Bed Bugs Be Gone: Rutgers Gets Nod for Fighting Pests - New ... - TAPinto.net - July 13th, 2017
- Apartment near Northlake infested with bed bugs, management slow to react - FOX 46 Charlotte - July 12th, 2017
- The building management used me as bedbug 'bait': suit - New York Post - July 8th, 2017
- Dispatchers relocated as Honolulu police deal with bed bugs | KHON2 - KHON2 - July 8th, 2017
- A Houston-area couple's date night was allegedly ruined by a very unwelcome guest at AMC on Dunvale - Rare.us - July 3rd, 2017
- Oregon's bedbug secrecy law who are we protecting? - InvestigateWest - July 1st, 2017
- Houston couple claim they were bitten by bed bugs while watching movie at Dunvale AMC - Chron.com - June 28th, 2017
- What to Do When Bedbugs Bite at Work - SHRM - June 28th, 2017
- Bed bugs a growing problem in Upstate, say exterminators - WSPA.com - June 25th, 2017
- Unsatisfied Craven commissioners seek local answers to bedbug problems - Havelock News - June 22nd, 2017
- Letter: Bedbug menace - Charleston Post Courier - June 22nd, 2017
- Renter upset they're on the hook for bed bug treatment that damaged unit - Valley News Live - June 19th, 2017
- Unsatisfied Craven commissioners seek local answers to bedbug problems - New Bern Sun Journal - June 19th, 2017
- Exterminator says bed bugs becoming more common - WPSD Local 6 - June 17th, 2017
- Family of 4 Loses Everything to Bed Bugs, But Learns What Life Is Really All About - Babble (blog) - June 16th, 2017
- CWE residents ask for help against bedbugs - KSDK - June 13th, 2017
- Hagerstown tries to stay ahead of nationwide pest problem - Herald-Mail Media - June 11th, 2017
- Disgruntled man releases bedbugs in government office - FOX 13 News, Tampa Bay - June 8th, 2017
- Angry man dumps nearly 100 bed bugs at Maine City Office forcing ... - WILX-TV - June 8th, 2017
- Disgruntled man dumps bed bugs in government office in Maine - Fox News - June 7th, 2017
- Angry man releases about 100 bed bugs at Maine city office - News & Observer - June 7th, 2017
- Mason Manor suffering from chronic bed bug problem - WeAreGreenBay.com - June 7th, 2017
- 'They're Your Problem, Now!' Angry Man Releases Bedbugs At City Hall - CBS Boston / WBZ - June 6th, 2017
- Augusta City Hall reopens after bedbug dumping incident - WGME - June 6th, 2017
- Disgruntled man releases bedbugs in government office - Fox 2 Detroit - June 6th, 2017
- A New Automated Insect Monitoring System Uses WiFi To Defend Your Home - Futurism - June 6th, 2017
- Bed Bug FAQs | New York State Integrated Pest Management - June 6th, 2017
- Popular water park responds to viral Facebook post about bedbugs - AOL - June 3rd, 2017
- Great Wolf Lodge defends itself against bed bug claims | The News ... - The News Tribune - June 3rd, 2017
- A Dog's Point Of View: Kroupa talks about unique writing style - Martinsville Bulletin - June 3rd, 2017
- Homeowners dealing with record highs in bed bug infestations - Palm Beach Post - June 3rd, 2017
- Great Wolf Lodge Responds to Bed Bug Claims - Centralia Chronicle - June 2nd, 2017
- Yuck! Don't Let Bed Bugs Bite You in San Diego - Times of San Diego - Times of San Diego - June 2nd, 2017
- Great Wolf Lodge defends itself against bed bug claims | The ... - The Olympian - June 2nd, 2017
- Bed bug infestation at Jackson 911 dispatch center - WJTV - May 30th, 2017
- Esther's Inn stamps out bed bugs - Prince George Citizen - May 27th, 2017
- Bed Bugs - New York City - May 26th, 2017
- Note from the field: Bedbugs likely to continue biting - News Sentinel - May 26th, 2017
- Bed bug incidents cause frustration for Cottages of Martinsburg residents - Martinsburg Journal - May 25th, 2017
- Bed bugs: Tips for an infestation | WDAZ - WDAZ - May 23rd, 2017
- PPMA Announces Bed Bug Awareness Week - PCT Magazine - May 23rd, 2017
- Vancouver Pest Control Ants Bed Bugs Wasps Removal Protection Report Launched - MilTech - May 23rd, 2017
- Sticky plastic covers aren't the only way to cope with pesky bed bugs - The Bellingham Herald - May 21st, 2017
- BedBug Central Announces Results from New Bed Bug Survey - PCT Magazine - May 17th, 2017
- Don't let the bedbugs bite - The Courier - May 16th, 2017