Myths and Facts About Bed Bugs That You Need To Know
In recent years, bed bugs have created concerns of near epic proportions. Large metro areas have been among the most affected areas, but no geographic scope is immune to these pests. Contrary to popular beliefs, bed bugs arent correlated with untidy homes or filthy living conditions. Thats because they can get into any home through clothing, pieces of luggage, or even furniture from an infested dwelling. Unfortunately, bed bugs often dwell in sleeping areas like bedrooms, hotel rooms, and dorms.
Well according to the CDC, Bed bugs, scientifically called Cimex lectularius, are tiny flat-shaped parasites that feed on blood. The feeding often occurs during sleeping periods when there are minimal movement and self-awareness. These parasites are reddish-brown in color, they do not fly and can range from 1mm to 7mm in length. CDC also goes on to say that bed bugs can survive several months without feeding on blood making it merely impossible to starve them by staying away from your home for a while.
Research has shown that bed bug bites are not lethal, but there are a few secondary ailments that root out of these bites. According to EPA, the presence of bed bugs can cause a lot of distress to the affected parties. Thats because it all starts with minor skin irritations that itch. This itching can develop into excessive scratching a fact that significantly increases the chances of contracting a secondary skin infection.
In some cases, the bites can cause moderate allergic reactions which may or may not require medical observation, but if the allergic reaction is severe, then immediate medical attention is highly recommended. A person can also undergo stress as a result of the loss of sleep and minor skin irritations.
According to the CDC, that statement is very untrue. Their reports indicate that bed bugs are found all over the world in both first and third world countries. In fact, first world countries like the United States, Canada, The United Kingdom and other parts of Europe have seen a rapid spread of the bed bug infestation thus ruling out the myth that these bugs only exist in poor and under-developed countries.
The CDC also goes on to debunk this myth by saying that bed bugs reside in all areas and their presence is not dependent on the cleanliness of their environment. According to the CDC, these bugs have been found in many clean institutions including five-star hotels and resorts.
According to CDCs top researchers, bed bugs DO NOT spread diseases. They only harm that bed bugs cause is the loss of sleep and an itchy irritation on a persons skin. But, you should know that excessive scratching can result in secondary skin infections.
* Bed bugs always dwell around places where people sleep, usually within an 8 feet radius. Like any other parasite, they always follow their food source. That means that they do migrate between shared homes in search of food they can adapt to the sleeping habits of their hosts.
* They hide during the day in dark, isolated spots like the seams of mattresses, bed frames, cracks, and headboards among other places.
* A bed bug can travel up to 100 feet overnight.
* They are quite resilient because they can last several months without feeding.
* Bed bugs are mostly nocturnal but they can also feed during the day if necessary. A bed bugs bite is painless, and since they feed during sleepy hours, most people do not realize that they have been bitten until they spot a tiny red welt or begin to itch.
* A typical bed bug lays up to 7 eggs per week and can lay over 500 eggs per lifespan.
* Optimal egg laying temperatures revolve around 80 degrees F. They also grow faster at that temperature.
* A bed bug is very tiny but its still clearly visible to the naked eye.
What measures can be taken to treat and prevent bed bug infestation?
While pesticides are mostly recommended for bed bug treatment, they are other options like heat. It is always good to regularly monitor your bedroom to see if theres any sign of an infestation. If you find any signs, be sure to inform your landlord and call Affordable Bed Bug Exterminators to treat your home.
Heat or chemical spray treatment is the question homeowners ask frequently. Heat treatments offer a quick solution to your bed bug problems. Companies advertise and offer a one time treatment. What kills bed bugs after the heat treatment ends? Homeowners rarely understand where their bed bug problems originated. For this reason, reintroduction of bed bugs to the home after the heat treatment happens. Chemical spray treatments offer residual residue that lasts up to 120 days. The chemical is still 85% effective after 60 days research shows. A better long term treatment is the chemical option.
The chemical spray treatment does not work overnight. In a study of 22 apartments treated with our chemical, a rapid decline in bed bug numbers is noticed in the first 2 weeks. Compared to the average initial bed bug count per apartment (174), an 83 percent reduction is noted after two weeks, 94 percent fewer bugs were found after four weeks and 98 percent fewer after eight weeks. In about half the apartments, treatment was hindered at times by lack of preparation, clutter and poor tenant cooperation. Above all, we emphasize early action and homeowner participation in the chemical spray treatment process. That leads to lower costs and more effective treatments.
Monitors did instruct residents to remove, bag and launder bed linens and clothing prior to treatment. Half of the residents complied with this request while the others did not. Monitors instructed residents not to disassemble beds or dispose of bed bug-infested belongings. During the trial, one tenant did throw out a heavily infested headboard and another disposed of a moderately infested mattress and box spring. No bed bug encasement installations were permitted during the evaluation. For that reason, resultant changes in bed bug numbers is due to application of the insecticide.
Test results show our product has extended residual effects; bed bugs experienced a high mortality rate when exposed to wood and fabric surfaces treated six months earlier. The prolonged effectiveness of these materials as dry deposits will eliminate bugs and eggs overlooked or re-entering dwellings for months. For this reason, we advise our client to utilize some chemical spray treatment in their choice for extermination.
Go here to see the original:
Affordable Bed Bug Exterminators: Pest Control Bed Bugs
- Bed Bug Exterminator NYC | Extermination Treatment ... - May 23rd, 2019
- Bed Bugs Toronto - Pestend Affordable Pest Exterminator - May 13th, 2019
- Bed Bugs Treatment - May 12th, 2019
- Bed bug - Wikipedia - May 2nd, 2019
- Buffalo Bed Bug PCP | Professional Pest Control Buffalo ... - April 30th, 2019
- Bedbug Exterminator | Bed Bug Control | Bed Bug Infestation - April 20th, 2019
- Exterminator Bug Services |authorSTREAM - April 14th, 2019
- Milwaukee Bed Bug Exterminator | Pest Control Service | A ... - March 14th, 2019
- 6 Home Remedies to Get Rid of Bed Bugs [Incl. Recipes] - March 12th, 2019
- #1 Bed Bug Exterminator & Pest Control in Houston Texas ... - March 6th, 2019
- How To Get Rid Of Bed Bugs (COMPLETE GUIDE) - February 16th, 2019
- Metro Detroit & Atlanta Bed Bugs - Metro Detroit Exterminator - February 10th, 2019
- How to Check for Bed Bugs: Discover where they hide and ... - February 10th, 2019
- Chicago IL Exterminator, Pest Control, Termite Inspections - February 9th, 2019
- How much does it cost to get rid of bed bugs in Toronto? - February 2nd, 2019
- Are Bed Bugs in the Walls? | Bed Bug Exterminator NYC | 24 ... - February 2nd, 2019
- Can Dogs Carry Bed Bugs? | Bed Bug Exterminator NYC | 24/7 ... - January 31st, 2019
- Bed Bugs - January 24th, 2019
- What Do Bed Bugs Look Like (53 PICTURES OF BED BUGS) - January 24th, 2019
- Bed Bugs Guide - How to Kill Bed Bugs - January 10th, 2019
- Alpha Bed Bug Exterminator NYC - Manhattan | Treatment ... - January 4th, 2019
- Bed bug control & treatment - Expert exterminator for bed ... - January 4th, 2019
- Bed Bugs | Pest Control and Bug Exterminator Blog - November 21st, 2018
- Bed Bugs: How to Identify Bedbugs and How to Get ... - WebMD - October 3rd, 2018
- Bed Bug Exterminator NYC Testimonial - Watch Now - Bed Bug Exterminator NYC - September 27th, 2018
- Bed Bugs Exterminator Crew | Call 888-329-7794 - September 8th, 2018
- 2018 Average Bed Bug Exterminator Cost (with Price Factors) - July 6th, 2018
- Bed bug control techniques - Wikipedia - May 19th, 2018
- Heat Pro | Denver, Co Bed Bug Exterminator, Heat Treatment ... - May 2nd, 2018
- Pest Control | Bed Bug Exterminator Iowa City, Cedar ... - April 1st, 2018
- Bed Bug Facts & Pest Information: How Do You Get Bed Bugs? - March 22nd, 2018
- Bed Bug Extermination Cost: Inspection and Treatment Costs - March 18th, 2018
- Pest Control Exterminators Bed Bugs Roaches Termites - December 30th, 2017
- Bed Bug Exterminator Indianapolis - The Bed Bug Co. - December 27th, 2017
- The Best Bed Bugs Exterminator in Queens, NY - November 25th, 2017
- Bed bugs, drug paraphernalia greet 6th graders at Estes Park YMCA - The Denver Channel - September 2nd, 2017
- Guaranteed Bed Bug Exterminator in Brooklyn, NYC ... - September 2nd, 2017
- College students told to continue living in apartment with bedbugs - WRAL.com - September 1st, 2017
- Royster deals with found bed bug - Chanute Tribune - September 1st, 2017
- One couple's bedbug saga: exactly what a nightmare would be - San Francisco Chronicle - September 1st, 2017
- Increase in bed bug problems - The News Center - August 28th, 2017
- The most bed bug-infested cities in the US named - Inquirer.net - August 28th, 2017
- New California law aims to stop spread of bedbugs - San Francisco ... - San Francisco Chronicle - August 27th, 2017
- Cleveland Tops Terminix's Newest 'Top 20 Bed Bug Cities' List - PCT Magazine - August 26th, 2017
- Confirmed case of bed bugs at Parma Senior High School - News 5 ... - News 5 Cleveland - August 25th, 2017
- Cleveland tenants fight bed bug infestation, city ranked in top 15 for bed bug issues - News 5 Cleveland - August 24th, 2017
- An Invention Eliminates Bed Bug Bites even the Insects Migrate among Apartments - Digital Journal - August 23rd, 2017
- Reader takes issue with local exterminator - Circleville Herald - August 23rd, 2017
- Put Your Foot Down With Toronto Roach Removal - TG Daily (blog) - August 21st, 2017
- Bed bugs make unwelcome return to Southern California - The San Gabriel Valley Tribune - August 17th, 2017
- EZ Bed Bug Exterminator in Cincinnati Vows to End Bugs with New Service - Digital Journal - August 12th, 2017
- Aurora man says new mattress was delivered with bed bugs - The Denver Channel - August 12th, 2017
- EZ Bed Bug Exterminator in Cincinnati Vows to End Bugs with New Service - Press Release Rocket (press release) - August 12th, 2017
- Bed bugs that proliferate - The Sherbrooke Times - August 9th, 2017
- Bed Bugs Exterminator & Bed Bugs ... - - RTC Pest Control - August 9th, 2017
- 'Boy, they itch like crazy': Bedbugs bother Whitehorse visitors and residents - CBC.ca - August 7th, 2017
- Bed bugs pose particularly difficult problem in Central Illinois - Illinois News Network - July 31st, 2017
- Bedbugs make an unwelcome comeback in Southern California - Press-Enterprise - July 31st, 2017
- Apartment bed bug infestation persists after treatments - FOX31 Denver - July 31st, 2017
- Bed Bugs Be Gone: Rutgers Gets Nod for Fighting Pests - New ... - TAPinto.net - July 13th, 2017
- Apartment near Northlake infested with bed bugs, management slow to react - FOX 46 Charlotte - July 12th, 2017
- The building management used me as bedbug 'bait': suit - New York Post - July 8th, 2017
- Dispatchers relocated as Honolulu police deal with bed bugs | KHON2 - KHON2 - July 8th, 2017
- A Houston-area couple's date night was allegedly ruined by a very unwelcome guest at AMC on Dunvale - Rare.us - July 3rd, 2017
- Oregon's bedbug secrecy law who are we protecting? - InvestigateWest - July 1st, 2017
- Houston couple claim they were bitten by bed bugs while watching movie at Dunvale AMC - Chron.com - June 28th, 2017
- What to Do When Bedbugs Bite at Work - SHRM - June 28th, 2017
- Bed bugs a growing problem in Upstate, say exterminators - WSPA.com - June 25th, 2017
- Unsatisfied Craven commissioners seek local answers to bedbug problems - Havelock News - June 22nd, 2017
- Letter: Bedbug menace - Charleston Post Courier - June 22nd, 2017
- Renter upset they're on the hook for bed bug treatment that damaged unit - Valley News Live - June 19th, 2017
- Unsatisfied Craven commissioners seek local answers to bedbug problems - New Bern Sun Journal - June 19th, 2017
- Exterminator says bed bugs becoming more common - WPSD Local 6 - June 17th, 2017
- Family of 4 Loses Everything to Bed Bugs, But Learns What Life Is Really All About - Babble (blog) - June 16th, 2017
- CWE residents ask for help against bedbugs - KSDK - June 13th, 2017
- Hagerstown tries to stay ahead of nationwide pest problem - Herald-Mail Media - June 11th, 2017
- Disgruntled man releases bedbugs in government office - FOX 13 News, Tampa Bay - June 8th, 2017
- Angry man dumps nearly 100 bed bugs at Maine City Office forcing ... - WILX-TV - June 8th, 2017
- Disgruntled man dumps bed bugs in government office in Maine - Fox News - June 7th, 2017
- Angry man releases about 100 bed bugs at Maine city office - News & Observer - June 7th, 2017