You take care of your house. You vacuum the rugs, clean the windows, and keep the bathrooms spotless. Guests visit, and they feel like a cleaning service makes daily trips to your house. Now imagine one morning you wake up to find that you have tiny bite marks on your body. Upon further inspection, you realize that there are small bugs in your bed. Thats right. Bed bugs.
What do you do?
Your first instinct might be to think that your house isnt clean enough, but that may not be the case. Rest assured, bed bugs can come from several different places and are rarely a reflection of housekeeping skills. Here are some home remedies for bed bugs.
Like most bugs, bed bugs come from outside the house. If you live in an apartment or any other shared living situation and have a bed bug infestation, it could be that they came from an adjoining apartment through cracks in the floors and walls. Pesticide foggers like bug bombs dont get rid of bed bugs, but instead, displace them they go searching for a new home. For that reason, you want to avoid using bug bombs to deal with the infestation. If it makes you feel any better, if you live in a shared housing situation, its possible that your infestation is the result of one of your neighbors bug-bombing an infestation.
Introducing used furniture to your house is another way bed bugs find their way inside. Be wary of used furniture, especially upholstery. Check and treat any pieces of furniture carefully before bringing them into the house. Check used clothing and books as well.
Even if its brand new, pay close attention to any furniture that has been stored or transported in the back of a truck.
Finally, if you stay somewhere with bed bugs, they can also hitch a ride on you, your family, or your guests, either via your clothing or in your luggage.
Bites on your skin are the first sign of a bed bug infestation. If you have unexplained bug bites, especially first thing in the morning, you might want to start checking around for other signs of an infestation.
Check your mattress for the visual signs of bed bugs. If you have them, you may see red or rust-colored stains, indicating crushed bed bugs.
You might also see tiny black dots, which are bed bug excrement, and egg shells (around 1mm, a pale yellow color) resulting from the bed bugs reproducing. Finally, you may see the bugs themselves walking around.
Make sure you check every surface down to the box spring, and anything surrounding the bed as well. Check curtains, baseboards, behind wallpaper and even under the carpet. Bed bugs prefer fabric and wood to plastic and metal, so check any wooden furniture as well.
If you suspect you have bed bugs, call a professional exterminator to confirm it for you.
Bed bugs bite because they live on blood, either human or animal blood. They feed on your blood for about ten minutes, then swell and turn red. Their bites are painless but can become itchy, but unlike mosquitos, they are harmless and do not transmit diseases. However, if you scratch the bites, you can cause an infection.
One characteristic of bed bug bites?
They numerous, and they have a tendency to appear in straight rows. If you see multiple bites arranged in a straight line, theres a good chance youre looking at bed bug bites.
The best way to get rid of a bed bug infestation is to call an exterminator. Theyve dealt with bed bugs before and know how to do a thorough enough job to keep them from returning. An exterminator is your best bet, just to make sure you take care of the problem completely.
However, there are some things you can do at home to supplement a professional.
Use hot water to wash all clothes, linens and anything fabric that may have contacted the bugs. Heat will kill anything hiding in your linens. Use a dryer to dry everything as well, because a dryer will hit the bugs with a double dose of heat. Just make sure you pay attention to the tags on the fabric, as your linens may be dry clean only. Dry cleaning can also kill bed bugs, but make sure you inform the dry cleaner of the possible infestation.
Once youve given your bedding the heat treatment, follow up by vacuuming all areas of the infested room(s). Vacuuming will remove any bugs from the nooks and crannies in which they may be hiding. Use a brush to loosen all bugs and eggs. Make sure you clean out your vacuum thoroughly afterward and dispose of any vacuum bags outside of the house. Use a steamer on things like your mattress and box spring. Steam will take care of remaining eggs.
>> Also interesting: How to Wash Pillows at Home
Finally, cover your mattress, box spring, and pillow in a completely closed bug-proof cover. Sealing up your bedding with a cover ensures that anything left will not be able to escape or feed and will eventually starve. Starvation can take up to a year, however.
Whether youre looking to prevent bed bugs from re-infesting a room or looking to avoid one before it happens, there are a couple of things you can do.
Start by making sure that your house is spotless. Messy rooms and improperly stored items create a lot of places for bed bugs to hide, so the less attractive your home to bed bugs, the less likely you are to experience an infestation.
Remove bridges from the floor to the bed. Keep bed bugs out of bed by keeping blankets from dragging the floor, and dont use the bed as storage for anything. Bed bug interceptors are relatively inexpensive and are placed under the feet of the bed, preventing bed bugs from reaching the legs and climbing to the bedding. Consider using them.
Finally, prevention is ongoing. Clean often, checking for signs of a recurrence. The earlier you catch bed bugs, the easier they are to clean out. Inspect all used items that you introduce to the house. When staying in a new place, check that bed for bugs. When returning from a trip, clean everything you took, including your luggage.
The best ways to get rid of bed bugs are pesticides, heat treatment, and thorough cleaning, but there are a few home remedies that might help.
If you have bed bugs or are just worried about preventing an infestation, rest easy there are plenty of natural bed bug repellents and ways to kill bed bugs available. Bed bugs can happen to anyone and even if you keep a tidy home, random variables, like your neighbor setting off a bug bomb next door, mean that an infestation can happen anytime.
In this article, you learned how to detect bed bugs, as well as a few home remedies for bed bugs, including how to repel bed bugs naturally.
Do you have a friend struggling with a bed bug infestation? Use the buttons below to share to Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.
Read more from the original source:
6 Home Remedies to Get Rid of Bed Bugs [Incl. Recipes]
- Milwaukee Bed Bug Exterminator | Pest Control Service | A ... - March 14th, 2019
- #1 Bed Bug Exterminator & Pest Control in Houston Texas ... - March 6th, 2019
- How To Get Rid Of Bed Bugs (COMPLETE GUIDE) - February 16th, 2019
- Metro Detroit & Atlanta Bed Bugs - Metro Detroit Exterminator - February 10th, 2019
- How to Check for Bed Bugs: Discover where they hide and ... - February 10th, 2019
- Chicago IL Exterminator, Pest Control, Termite Inspections - February 9th, 2019
- How much does it cost to get rid of bed bugs in Toronto? - February 2nd, 2019
- Are Bed Bugs in the Walls? | Bed Bug Exterminator NYC | 24 ... - February 2nd, 2019
- Can Dogs Carry Bed Bugs? | Bed Bug Exterminator NYC | 24/7 ... - January 31st, 2019
- Affordable Bed Bug Exterminators: Pest Control Bed Bugs - January 24th, 2019
- Bed Bugs - January 24th, 2019
- What Do Bed Bugs Look Like (53 PICTURES OF BED BUGS) - January 24th, 2019
- Bed Bugs Guide - How to Kill Bed Bugs - January 10th, 2019
- Alpha Bed Bug Exterminator NYC - Manhattan | Treatment ... - January 4th, 2019
- Bed bug control & treatment - Expert exterminator for bed ... - January 4th, 2019
- Bed Bugs | Pest Control and Bug Exterminator Blog - November 21st, 2018
- Bed Bugs: How to Identify Bedbugs and How to Get ... - WebMD - October 3rd, 2018
- Bed Bug Exterminator NYC Testimonial - Watch Now - Bed Bug Exterminator NYC - September 27th, 2018
- Bed Bugs Exterminator Crew | Call 888-329-7794 - September 8th, 2018
- 2018 Average Bed Bug Exterminator Cost (with Price Factors) - July 6th, 2018
- Bed bug control techniques - Wikipedia - May 19th, 2018
- Heat Pro | Denver, Co Bed Bug Exterminator, Heat Treatment ... - May 2nd, 2018
- Pest Control | Bed Bug Exterminator Iowa City, Cedar ... - April 1st, 2018
- Bed Bug Facts & Pest Information: How Do You Get Bed Bugs? - March 22nd, 2018
- Bed Bug Extermination Cost: Inspection and Treatment Costs - March 18th, 2018
- Pest Control Exterminators Bed Bugs Roaches Termites - December 30th, 2017
- Bed Bug Exterminator Indianapolis - The Bed Bug Co. - December 27th, 2017
- The Best Bed Bugs Exterminator in Queens, NY - November 25th, 2017
- Bed bugs, drug paraphernalia greet 6th graders at Estes Park YMCA - The Denver Channel - September 2nd, 2017
- Guaranteed Bed Bug Exterminator in Brooklyn, NYC ... - September 2nd, 2017
- College students told to continue living in apartment with bedbugs - WRAL.com - September 1st, 2017
- Royster deals with found bed bug - Chanute Tribune - September 1st, 2017
- One couple's bedbug saga: exactly what a nightmare would be - San Francisco Chronicle - September 1st, 2017
- Increase in bed bug problems - The News Center - August 28th, 2017
- The most bed bug-infested cities in the US named - Inquirer.net - August 28th, 2017
- New California law aims to stop spread of bedbugs - San Francisco ... - San Francisco Chronicle - August 27th, 2017
- Cleveland Tops Terminix's Newest 'Top 20 Bed Bug Cities' List - PCT Magazine - August 26th, 2017
- Confirmed case of bed bugs at Parma Senior High School - News 5 ... - News 5 Cleveland - August 25th, 2017
- Cleveland tenants fight bed bug infestation, city ranked in top 15 for bed bug issues - News 5 Cleveland - August 24th, 2017
- An Invention Eliminates Bed Bug Bites even the Insects Migrate among Apartments - Digital Journal - August 23rd, 2017
- Reader takes issue with local exterminator - Circleville Herald - August 23rd, 2017
- Put Your Foot Down With Toronto Roach Removal - TG Daily (blog) - August 21st, 2017
- Bed bugs make unwelcome return to Southern California - The San Gabriel Valley Tribune - August 17th, 2017
- EZ Bed Bug Exterminator in Cincinnati Vows to End Bugs with New Service - Digital Journal - August 12th, 2017
- Aurora man says new mattress was delivered with bed bugs - The Denver Channel - August 12th, 2017
- EZ Bed Bug Exterminator in Cincinnati Vows to End Bugs with New Service - Press Release Rocket (press release) - August 12th, 2017
- Bed bugs that proliferate - The Sherbrooke Times - August 9th, 2017
- Bed Bugs Exterminator & Bed Bugs ... - - RTC Pest Control - August 9th, 2017
- 'Boy, they itch like crazy': Bedbugs bother Whitehorse visitors and residents - CBC.ca - August 7th, 2017
- Bed bugs pose particularly difficult problem in Central Illinois - Illinois News Network - July 31st, 2017
- Bedbugs make an unwelcome comeback in Southern California - Press-Enterprise - July 31st, 2017
- Apartment bed bug infestation persists after treatments - FOX31 Denver - July 31st, 2017
- Bed Bugs Be Gone: Rutgers Gets Nod for Fighting Pests - New ... - TAPinto.net - July 13th, 2017
- Apartment near Northlake infested with bed bugs, management slow to react - FOX 46 Charlotte - July 12th, 2017
- The building management used me as bedbug 'bait': suit - New York Post - July 8th, 2017
- Dispatchers relocated as Honolulu police deal with bed bugs | KHON2 - KHON2 - July 8th, 2017
- A Houston-area couple's date night was allegedly ruined by a very unwelcome guest at AMC on Dunvale - Rare.us - July 3rd, 2017
- Oregon's bedbug secrecy law who are we protecting? - InvestigateWest - July 1st, 2017
- Houston couple claim they were bitten by bed bugs while watching movie at Dunvale AMC - Chron.com - June 28th, 2017
- What to Do When Bedbugs Bite at Work - SHRM - June 28th, 2017
- Bed bugs a growing problem in Upstate, say exterminators - WSPA.com - June 25th, 2017
- Unsatisfied Craven commissioners seek local answers to bedbug problems - Havelock News - June 22nd, 2017
- Letter: Bedbug menace - Charleston Post Courier - June 22nd, 2017
- Renter upset they're on the hook for bed bug treatment that damaged unit - Valley News Live - June 19th, 2017
- Unsatisfied Craven commissioners seek local answers to bedbug problems - New Bern Sun Journal - June 19th, 2017
- Exterminator says bed bugs becoming more common - WPSD Local 6 - June 17th, 2017
- Family of 4 Loses Everything to Bed Bugs, But Learns What Life Is Really All About - Babble (blog) - June 16th, 2017
- CWE residents ask for help against bedbugs - KSDK - June 13th, 2017
- Hagerstown tries to stay ahead of nationwide pest problem - Herald-Mail Media - June 11th, 2017
- Disgruntled man releases bedbugs in government office - FOX 13 News, Tampa Bay - June 8th, 2017
- Angry man dumps nearly 100 bed bugs at Maine City Office forcing ... - WILX-TV - June 8th, 2017
- Disgruntled man dumps bed bugs in government office in Maine - Fox News - June 7th, 2017
- Angry man releases about 100 bed bugs at Maine city office - News & Observer - June 7th, 2017
- Mason Manor suffering from chronic bed bug problem - WeAreGreenBay.com - June 7th, 2017
- 'They're Your Problem, Now!' Angry Man Releases Bedbugs At City Hall - CBS Boston / WBZ - June 6th, 2017
- Augusta City Hall reopens after bedbug dumping incident - WGME - June 6th, 2017
- Disgruntled man releases bedbugs in government office - Fox 2 Detroit - June 6th, 2017
- A New Automated Insect Monitoring System Uses WiFi To Defend Your Home - Futurism - June 6th, 2017
- Bed Bug FAQs | New York State Integrated Pest Management - June 6th, 2017
- Popular water park responds to viral Facebook post about bedbugs - AOL - June 3rd, 2017