Q. We bought a house in an urban area of town this year and I found there are raspberry and blackberry bushes in the backyard. I have no idea how to care for themcould you help? We did enjoy some berries from both so I want to make sure they continue.
A.Following are a few tips that should hopefully keep your brambles happy for years to come:
Raspberries and blackberries are bramble fruits and can become quite overgrown and make what is called a thicket if allowed to grow wild. When being grown in a backyard or small area, it is important to keep them in bounds by careful pruning and trellising.
In our area blackberries are the most tender of the two and if unprotected might die out if the temperature drops below -10 degrees in winter.
Wrapping them in burlap and/or piling dried leaves or straw over the root zone when the ground freezes should help them survive.
Prune out and throw in the trash (never in the compost pile) the raspberry and blackberry canes that had fruit on them this year. They are done and will not have fruit on them a second yearplus those canes may have insects and disease that they would pass on to the fruit next year.
Do this immediately after fruiting all through the growing season.
You didnt say whether they were growing along a fence or trellised but it is always a good idea to give them support with a simple trellis.
In late winter before new growth begins is the time to prune and thin out the plants.
Look for canes that are growing sideways and leave them on the shrubthese are the fruit-bearing canes. Leave at least 7 on each bush.
Continue pruning out any dead and small spindly canes.
When the ground thaws in spring, side-dress the bushes with compost and aged manure.
We have had plenty of rain so far this season but if August proves to be a dry month be sure to give them at least an inch and a half of water a week to keep the roots hydrated and healthy.
It might be worth the effort to try and find out from the previous homeowners if your raspberry bushes are late summer and fall-bearing varieties. Types of this berry can bear fruit on new growth all season long.
Q.I have been battling ants this year. I hate to call the exterminator or use chemicalsdo you have any other ideas I could try that are environmentally safe?
A.I have a few suggestions that are worth trying but at the same time I have not tried any of these methods myself so I cant guarantee they will work:
Find their hill and scatter grits all around ityes, the cereal. The tipster says they will eat it and when they take in water they swell up and burst and in 24 hours no more ants.
Use food grade Diatomaceous earth. It is a natural powdered rock that the ants crawl over and when they do it scrapes off the underside of their body and they dehydrate and eventually die due to the loss of body fluid. Spread this around the outside of the anthill where they have to crawl over it to forage for food. This product works for any crawling insect such a slugs and snails as well as ants.
Spraying vinegar on the anthill is another suggestion.
Jane Ford is an Advanced Master Gardener. Email questions to email@example.com. This column is the opinion of the writer and does not necessarily reflect the views of The News-Sentinel.
- 10 Fascinating Facts About Ants - ThoughtCo - June 2nd, 2019
- Do I Need an Exterminator To Get Rid of Ants? | COMBAT - April 26th, 2019
- Ants | Pest Control Omaha - Exterminator | Omaha Pest ... - April 4th, 2019
- Black Ants: Bite, Types, Size | Western Exterminator - February 15th, 2019
- AAA Exterminating Co - Exterminator Termite Control - February 10th, 2019
- Pest Control for Greensboro Charlotte Raleigh and Central NC - January 25th, 2019
- Ant Control - Dealing with Ants | Western Exterminator - January 10th, 2019
- Ants and Ant Control - Eastside Exterminators - November 21st, 2018
- Carpenter Ants Exterminator in CT | EliminateEm - October 11th, 2018
- How to Get Rid of Flying Ants | Ehrlich Pest Control - September 17th, 2018
- Carpenter ants in Chicago best ant pest control exterminator - July 23rd, 2018
- Ant Control: Pest Control for Ants by Arrow Exterminators - July 12th, 2018
- Cost to Hire an Ant Exterminator - Estimates and Prices at ... - May 24th, 2018
- Exterminator in Connecticut - Bee Smart Pest Control - May 13th, 2018
- Carpenter Ant Control - Get Rid of Carpenter Ants - Orkin.com - May 11th, 2018
- Ant Exterminator in Buffalo, NY - Buffalo Exterminating - May 11th, 2018
- Ant Control & Ant Killer Products | DIY Ant Pest Control - April 5th, 2018
- Borax to Kill Ants | Ant Exterminator Blog - February 22nd, 2018
- Ant Control & Ant Killer Products | Do My Own - November 20th, 2017
- Pest Control Secaucus, NJ, | Exterminator Cost Secaucus ... - November 14th, 2017
- Exterminator Reveals Cheap Secret: Never see ants in your ... - September 26th, 2017
- Pest Control Products and Services Market Projected to Reflect 5.4% CAGR by 2026 - Digital Journal - September 7th, 2017
- It's Northwest spider season; what you can do around your home - KIRO Seattle - September 5th, 2017
- High Heat Sparks Ant Invasion CBS Los Angeles - CBS Los Angeles - September 1st, 2017
- Condo Smarts: Signs of pests call for quick action - The Province - September 1st, 2017
- Texas Floods Bring Floating Fire Ant Colonies - PCT Magazine - September 1st, 2017
- Friday, August 25, 2017 - LWW Journals (blog) - August 25th, 2017
- Column: Round the Town with Karen Wyant - Jackson County Times-Journal (blog) - August 14th, 2017
- Cynthia Drummond: Signs of transition from summer to fall - The Westerly Sun - August 14th, 2017
- Invasion of the Sugar Ants - Longmont Observer - August 9th, 2017
- Bar Rescue Episode Transforms Bug-Infested Liquid Lounge Into The Tidal Bay Beach Bar - Long Beach Post - August 9th, 2017
- Limb Days and election application deadlines approaching - Hays Free Press - July 31st, 2017
- Fire Ant Fears Boost Japan Pesticide Maker to 30-Year High ... - Bloomberg - July 5th, 2017
- Experience has Produced a Leader In Omaha Miller Pest & Termite - Digital Journal (press release) - July 5th, 2017
- Marvel Takes Home 4 2017 Saturn Awards - Marvel (press release) (registration) (blog) - July 1st, 2017
- 'Marvel's Inhumans' Debuts First Official Trailer - News | Marvel.com - Marvel (press release) (registration) (blog) - June 29th, 2017
- 'Marvel's Inhumans' Unveils First Poster - Marvel (press release) (registration) (blog) - June 26th, 2017
- The Defenders Strike a Pose in New Poster - Marvel (press release) (registration) (blog) - June 25th, 2017
- The season for unwanted pests - 1011now - June 24th, 2017
- 'Marvel's Rocket & Groot' Eligible for Outstanding Short ... - Marvel.com - Marvel (press release) (registration) (blog) - June 22nd, 2017
- Vote 'Marvel's Agents of SHIELD' At The Teen Choice Awards 2017 - Marvel (press release) (registration) (blog) - June 21st, 2017
- Everyday cheapskate: Make your own safe and effective ant spray ... - Herald & Review - June 19th, 2017
- Make your own safe ant spray - Coos Bay World - June 17th, 2017
- The Avengers Must Reunite to Defeat the Kabal in - News | Marvel ... - Marvel (press release) (registration) (blog) - June 17th, 2017
- The Top Five Exterminators in Movies - TVOvermind - June 15th, 2017
- The Kitchn: Can lemon peels really keep ants away? - Orlando Sentinel - June 13th, 2017
- 10 things to keep in mind about fire ants - Island Packet - June 12th, 2017
- Large spider climbs into ND woman's home, turns out it's common for our area - Valley News Live - June 10th, 2017
- Bullet Ant - Ask The Exterminator - June 8th, 2017
- Ant-Man Shrinks Into Action With 3 New Animated Shorts - Marvel (press release) (registration) (blog) - June 8th, 2017
- Carpenter ants, bats besiege houses - Rochester Democrat and Chronicle - June 3rd, 2017
- How to safely enjoy summer outdoors - Foster's Daily Democrat - May 28th, 2017
- 5 Warning Signs That Your Home Has Been Invaded by Pests - RealtyBizNews - May 23rd, 2017
- Sugar Ants on Picnic Menu for Memorial Day a pest control warning - MENAFN.COM - May 21st, 2017
- Sun's out, bugs out: Pests we can expect as summer creeps closer - WKBN.com - May 19th, 2017
- Exterminators see boom in business thanks to weather - KAKE - May 19th, 2017
- Standing water could lead to bacteria and surge of mosquitoes - 13WHAM-TV - May 18th, 2017
- Pest Control Services Market is Expected to Cross US$ 22 Billion Globally by 2026 - Finance Wire - May 17th, 2017
- Bigger Is Better: 15 LARGEST Marvel Comics Characters - CBR (blog) - May 16th, 2017
- Mother's Day: A Tribute to My Mom as She Dodged Four Hurricanes - Dan's Papers - May 15th, 2017
- Review: The Hugo Boss Prize 2016: Anicka Yi, Life Is Cheap - Time Out New York (blog) - May 6th, 2017
- Anicka Yi's Art Is an Enigma Wrapped in an Ant Farm - artnet News - May 3rd, 2017
- The Bugs Of The World Could Squish Us All - FiveThirtyEight - May 3rd, 2017
- Trump Thought Being President Would Be 'Easier' Than His Old Life - Scary Mommy - April 29th, 2017
- Spring fever - Newton Daily News - April 28th, 2017
- Greater Seattle Area has Marching Armies of Little Black and big ... - MENAFN.COM - April 27th, 2017
- Pest control services market is expected to exceed US$ 22 Billion by 2026: Market Research Engine - Finance Wire - April 18th, 2017
- Warm winter will bring crazy summer - crazy ants, that is - Beaumont Enterprise - April 10th, 2017
- Seattle Has Big Black Ants Attacking Homes commercial buildings like bull doozers - MENAFN.COM - April 8th, 2017
- How to say goodbye to wet-weather bug infestations in the home ... - Stuff.co.nz - April 7th, 2017
- What to do about flying ants in your home - thespruce.com - April 3rd, 2017
- April Maintenance Tips for Your Palestine, TX House - Palestine Herald Press - April 3rd, 2017
- Oakland CA Pest Control Cockroaches Rodent Exterminator Site Launched - MilTech - March 31st, 2017
- Romex Pest & Termite Control in McKinney Opens - Digital Journal - March 30th, 2017
- Spring can mean pest home invasion | News | edmondsun.com - Edmond Sun - March 30th, 2017
- How to head off a household disaster - The Boston Globe - March 25th, 2017
- Unwelcome lunchroom guests: Regina General Hospital deals with ant infestation - CBC.ca - March 24th, 2017
- Black ants only get in Seattle King county homes or commercial ... - MilTech - March 24th, 2017
- Black Ants invade a Seattle commercial building home with a vengeance - MENAFN.COM - March 12th, 2017
- Winter didn't come to Tampa Bay, so now the termites and ants will ... - TBO.com - March 11th, 2017