What Do They Look Like?
Read more about carpenter ant identification.
These insects usually build their nests in damp, sound or decaying wood. Homes with moisture issues caused by leaks are prime targets for carpenter ants. The pests will also use tree branches that overhang roofs as a bridge, accessing buildings to find a way inside. Unsealed openings around utility pipes and wires are common entry points.
Cosmetic & Structural DamageWhen carpenter ants build nests, they dig out tunnels in wood, weakening it from the inside. A long-term infestation with multiple colonies in a home often means serious structural damage and unsightly cosmetic damage.
Workers and swarmers (winged ants)are the most likely sign homeowners observe.
What Orkin DoesIn controlling a carpenter ant infestation, it is necessary to first find the nest. Once identified, it can be removed or treated chemically. All moisture conditions that the ants found conducive must be corrected.
If treated early, serious structural damage to houses and buildings can be avoided. However, these ants could damage structures immensely if they continue undiscovered for an extended period.
DIY MethodsDIY control methods often involve incorrect procedures that can allow the colony to rebound when surviving members resume their burrowing and foraging.
Where Do They Live?Carpenter ants reside both outdoors and indoors in moist, decaying or hollow wood.
What Do They Eat?Carpenter ants do not eat wood as termites do, but instead remove wood and deposit the debris outside of their nests in small piles.
They will feed on a variety of food people eatparticularly sweets and meats. They will also feed on other insects.
Attraction to MoistureIn natural environments, carpenter ants dwell in both dead and living trees, stumps and rotting logs. However, they may also establish their nests inside of homes and buildings where wood is found, especially where wood has been exposed to severe moisture.
ReproductionQueens lays 9 to 16 eggs the first year and may live up to 25 years. Eggs complete their life cycle in about 6 to 12 weeks.
Ants of the genus Camponotus are known as carpenter ants because they prefer to establish their colonies in galleries excavated from damp or damaged wood. They cut galleries into the wood grain to form their nests and provide passageways for movement from section to section of the nest. This activity produces wood shavings mixed with parts of dead ants which provides clues to nesting locations.
Carpenter ants clean their nesting sites, and their galleries are not lined with mud or moist soil as termite galleries typically are. The workers keep their galleries as smooth as sandpapered wood.
Parent vs. Satellite ColoniesCarpenter ants build two types of nests: parent colonies and satellite colonies. Parent colonies consist of a queen, her brood, and workers. Satellite colonies consist of workers, older larvae, and pupae. Workers create satellite colonies when the parent colony lacks sufficient space or when there is a suitable supply of food or water. There may be several satellite colonies associated with a parent colony.
Carpenter Ant Identification: How to Identify a Carpenter Ant
What Does a Carpenter Ant Look Like?
Carpenter Ant Size
Life Cycle of Carpenter Ants
Carpenter Ant Larvae
Carpenter Ant Queens
Finding Carpenter Ant Nests
Carpenter Ant Infestation
Carpenter Ant Bites
Natural Carpenter Ant Pesticide
Red and Black Carpenter Ants
Boric Acid and Carpenter Ants
The rest is here:
Carpenter Ant Control – Get Rid of Carpenter Ants – Orkin.com
- Exterminator in Connecticut - Bee Smart Pest Control - May 13th, 2018
- Ant Exterminator in Buffalo, NY - Buffalo Exterminating - May 11th, 2018
- Ant Control & Ant Killer Products | DIY Ant Pest Control - April 5th, 2018
- Borax to Kill Ants | Ant Exterminator Blog - February 22nd, 2018
- Ant Control & Ant Killer Products | Do My Own - November 20th, 2017
- Pest Control Secaucus, NJ, | Exterminator Cost Secaucus ... - November 14th, 2017
- Exterminator Reveals Cheap Secret: Never see ants in your ... - September 26th, 2017
- Pest Control Products and Services Market Projected to Reflect 5.4% CAGR by 2026 - Digital Journal - September 7th, 2017
- It's Northwest spider season; what you can do around your home - KIRO Seattle - September 5th, 2017
- High Heat Sparks Ant Invasion CBS Los Angeles - CBS Los Angeles - September 1st, 2017
- Condo Smarts: Signs of pests call for quick action - The Province - September 1st, 2017
- Texas Floods Bring Floating Fire Ant Colonies - PCT Magazine - September 1st, 2017
- Friday, August 25, 2017 - LWW Journals (blog) - August 25th, 2017
- Column: Round the Town with Karen Wyant - Jackson County Times-Journal (blog) - August 14th, 2017
- Cynthia Drummond: Signs of transition from summer to fall - The Westerly Sun - August 14th, 2017
- Gardening column: Follow these tips to ensure healthy raspberry and blackberry bushes - News Sentinel - August 12th, 2017
- Invasion of the Sugar Ants - Longmont Observer - August 9th, 2017
- Bar Rescue Episode Transforms Bug-Infested Liquid Lounge Into The Tidal Bay Beach Bar - Long Beach Post - August 9th, 2017
- Limb Days and election application deadlines approaching - Hays Free Press - July 31st, 2017
- Fire Ant Fears Boost Japan Pesticide Maker to 30-Year High ... - Bloomberg - July 5th, 2017
- Experience has Produced a Leader In Omaha Miller Pest & Termite - Digital Journal (press release) - July 5th, 2017
- Marvel Takes Home 4 2017 Saturn Awards - Marvel (press release) (registration) (blog) - July 1st, 2017
- 'Marvel's Inhumans' Debuts First Official Trailer - News | Marvel.com - Marvel (press release) (registration) (blog) - June 29th, 2017
- 'Marvel's Inhumans' Unveils First Poster - Marvel (press release) (registration) (blog) - June 26th, 2017
- The Defenders Strike a Pose in New Poster - Marvel (press release) (registration) (blog) - June 25th, 2017
- The season for unwanted pests - 1011now - June 24th, 2017
- 'Marvel's Rocket & Groot' Eligible for Outstanding Short ... - Marvel.com - Marvel (press release) (registration) (blog) - June 22nd, 2017
- Vote 'Marvel's Agents of SHIELD' At The Teen Choice Awards 2017 - Marvel (press release) (registration) (blog) - June 21st, 2017
- Everyday cheapskate: Make your own safe and effective ant spray ... - Herald & Review - June 19th, 2017
- Make your own safe ant spray - Coos Bay World - June 17th, 2017
- The Avengers Must Reunite to Defeat the Kabal in - News | Marvel ... - Marvel (press release) (registration) (blog) - June 17th, 2017
- The Top Five Exterminators in Movies - TVOvermind - June 15th, 2017
- The Kitchn: Can lemon peels really keep ants away? - Orlando Sentinel - June 13th, 2017
- 10 things to keep in mind about fire ants - Island Packet - June 12th, 2017
- Large spider climbs into ND woman's home, turns out it's common for our area - Valley News Live - June 10th, 2017
- Bullet Ant - Ask The Exterminator - June 8th, 2017
- Ant-Man Shrinks Into Action With 3 New Animated Shorts - Marvel (press release) (registration) (blog) - June 8th, 2017
- Carpenter ants, bats besiege houses - Rochester Democrat and Chronicle - June 3rd, 2017
- How to safely enjoy summer outdoors - Foster's Daily Democrat - May 28th, 2017
- 5 Warning Signs That Your Home Has Been Invaded by Pests - RealtyBizNews - May 23rd, 2017
- Sugar Ants on Picnic Menu for Memorial Day a pest control warning - MENAFN.COM - May 21st, 2017
- Sun's out, bugs out: Pests we can expect as summer creeps closer - WKBN.com - May 19th, 2017
- Exterminators see boom in business thanks to weather - KAKE - May 19th, 2017
- Standing water could lead to bacteria and surge of mosquitoes - 13WHAM-TV - May 18th, 2017
- Pest Control Services Market is Expected to Cross US$ 22 Billion Globally by 2026 - Finance Wire - May 17th, 2017
- Bigger Is Better: 15 LARGEST Marvel Comics Characters - CBR (blog) - May 16th, 2017
- Mother's Day: A Tribute to My Mom as She Dodged Four Hurricanes - Dan's Papers - May 15th, 2017
- Review: The Hugo Boss Prize 2016: Anicka Yi, Life Is Cheap - Time Out New York (blog) - May 6th, 2017
- Anicka Yi's Art Is an Enigma Wrapped in an Ant Farm - artnet News - May 3rd, 2017
- The Bugs Of The World Could Squish Us All - FiveThirtyEight - May 3rd, 2017
- Trump Thought Being President Would Be 'Easier' Than His Old Life - Scary Mommy - April 29th, 2017
- Spring fever - Newton Daily News - April 28th, 2017
- Greater Seattle Area has Marching Armies of Little Black and big ... - MENAFN.COM - April 27th, 2017
- Pest control services market is expected to exceed US$ 22 Billion by 2026: Market Research Engine - Finance Wire - April 18th, 2017
- Warm winter will bring crazy summer - crazy ants, that is - Beaumont Enterprise - April 10th, 2017
- Seattle Has Big Black Ants Attacking Homes commercial buildings like bull doozers - MENAFN.COM - April 8th, 2017
- How to say goodbye to wet-weather bug infestations in the home ... - Stuff.co.nz - April 7th, 2017
- What to do about flying ants in your home - thespruce.com - April 3rd, 2017
- April Maintenance Tips for Your Palestine, TX House - Palestine Herald Press - April 3rd, 2017
- Oakland CA Pest Control Cockroaches Rodent Exterminator Site Launched - MilTech - March 31st, 2017
- Romex Pest & Termite Control in McKinney Opens - Digital Journal - March 30th, 2017
- Spring can mean pest home invasion | News | edmondsun.com - Edmond Sun - March 30th, 2017
- How to head off a household disaster - The Boston Globe - March 25th, 2017
- Unwelcome lunchroom guests: Regina General Hospital deals with ant infestation - CBC.ca - March 24th, 2017
- Black ants only get in Seattle King county homes or commercial ... - MilTech - March 24th, 2017
- Black Ants invade a Seattle commercial building home with a vengeance - MENAFN.COM - March 12th, 2017
- Winter didn't come to Tampa Bay, so now the termites and ants will ... - TBO.com - March 11th, 2017
- Keep the Bugs at Bay This Spring with Paffy's Pest Control - Press ... - Digital Journal - March 8th, 2017
- Black Ants invade a Seattle commercial building home with a ... - Digital Journal - March 8th, 2017
- Preventing pests from entering your home this Spring - WRDW-TV - March 6th, 2017
- Experts from Alpine Pest Control Ltd in Vancouver BC offering free ... - Digital Journal - March 2nd, 2017
- 'Tis the season for ants - Lowell Sun - February 24th, 2017
- Coming to a kitchen near you: Ants - Sentinel & Enterprise - Sentinel & Enterprise - February 23rd, 2017
- US$ 16 Bn Pest Control Services Market Poised for Steady Growth ... - Satellite PR News (press release) - February 21st, 2017
- Tulsa artist Bob Sober gives insects their close-ups - NewsOK.com - February 19th, 2017
- Pest Control Services market is expected to exceed US$ 22 Billion by 2026. - Finance Wire - February 16th, 2017
- Protect Your Home Using Pest Control in Edmond - Press Release ... - Digital Journal - February 9th, 2017
- Do Away With the Pests With Exterminator in Edmond - Satellite PR News (press release) - February 9th, 2017
- Pest Control Products and Services Market on Track to US$ 28.6 Bn by 2026 - Military Technologies - February 8th, 2017
- Ants and Ant Control - Do-It-Yourself Pest Control - January 8th, 2017